Good receipes for a mother having nausia from chemo.

PaulaSB12

Songster
9 Years
Dec 6, 2010
I am finding it hard to find stuff for my mother to eat, it cant be too vegetably because too much is causing a slight problem. She does eat meat,cheese and eggs and isn't allergic to anything but also doesn't like stuff too sweet. Sorry put this in the wrong place.

Last edited:
My step-dad was having the same problems and his son brought him some pot to smoke and it helped a LOT!! It took away his nausea and gave him back his appetite. I know this isn't a solution for everyone but if you know someone who has access it works!!

I went through the same thing with a good friend. Pasta and fruit seemed to be the most acceptable. Also I invited all of his friends who wanted to do something but didn't know what, to make & freeze single serving meals, that could be defrosted and heated easily when his energy was too far gone to cook. It worked well.

What Katy said

Pasta Alfredo supposedly originated when Alfredo, a young italian chef's sister took sick, and had not eaten for days. He could not stand his beloved sister not eating so started making some pasta, he sauted some onion and then added some cream to the pan, and then grated in bits of cheese until he had a pleasing sauce. Sure enough she loved the dish and asked for more.

Other cheesy dishes like mac n cheese, turkey tetrazinni and even pasta ala carbonara would be great. Also soothing soups like chicken noodle, pasta fazool and cream of chicken.

My mom had a tough time with chemo, it changed her "tastes" a lot. Things she loved suddenly tasted awful, and things she hated suddenly tasted good.

She went with hot tea and white bread toast every morning, peanut butter sandwich for lunch and dinner was always "white food". Poached chicken breasts, potatoes, pork loin, rice, anything that was pretty mild. She did like the occasional lamb chop. Fish was okay, as long as it was baked, broiled or poached.
Shs did develop an unatural affection for Gummi Bears- this, from a woman who had been a life long chocoholic!

Egg custards were good and nutritious. She never wanted any pasta, but would eat a bit. The veggies were out for her, though, caused too much upset. The only thing she would eat veggie wise was cole slaw, very light on the onion and no seasoning but white pepper.

Best wishes to you and your mom!

I agree with Betty R, helped my FIL a lot - both with the nausea & pain.

But if illegal accesss isn't available, ask the doctor about prescriibing the drug Zofran.

i am cooking for my neighbor who just went through radiation for a tumor. she has lost alot of weight and I, too, need ideas for high calorie yummy stuff that she will eat. i love to cook. tonight she had lasagna, she loves chicken n homemade noodles, and i made that last week. going to do a chicken pot pie but i just need some variation. pasta seems to be popular with her, and cakes.
now that my girls are laying again i would like to make custard for her but never made it before. please, more ideas and thanks for this thread.

Quote:
Hmmmm.... try giving her things like chicken soup or milk foods. Peppermint is also good for nausea too, if you want to give her something like that. Other than that, I don't know.....
idunno.gif

Things with vinager worked for me. And soft serve icecream to pack on a few lbs. Things that were cold made my stomach feel better. Best wishes to your Mom.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom