Good rooster to hen ratio?

shmccarthy

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Michigan
This may be a dumb question, but is there a good ratio for roosters to hens? I have one Easter egger rooster and 5 Easter egger hens that are all a year old. I bought more hens and expanded my coop and once they will be full grown (they are almost 12 weeks now) I will have about 30 hens and one rooster.

My rooster is very docile. He is very sweet to his hens but he does mate them a lot and their feathers are starting to wear on their backside. Which is a big reason I got more hens for him other than eggs. He is not aggressive to me or other people. He has lived with other roosters, they were both bantams, and he never had a problem with them or tried fighting them.

Is it okay to add another rooster of the same age to the flock and not worry about them fighting over the girls. I plan on doing a lot of research and searching for one that's docile as well. I want another rooster to help watch over the flock and I'm looking into getting into breeding and incubating soon.
The other hens I have in my flock are younger EE's, leghorns, red/golden comets, barred rocks, and some bantams; porcelain d'uccles, sebrights, and OEG's. They all get along great right now.
I also live on 4 acres and free range my chickens everyday once they are full grown.
Any ideas/advice/input?

This may be a dumb question, but is there a good ratio for roosters to hens? I have one Easter egger rooster and 5 Easter egger hens that are all a year old. I bought more hens and expanded my coop and once they will be full grown (they are almost 12 weeks now) I will have about 30 hens and one rooster.

My rooster is very docile. He is very sweet to his hens but he does mate them a lot and their feathers are starting to wear on their backside. Which is a big reason I got more hens for him other than eggs. He is not aggressive to me or other people. He has lived with other roosters, they were both bantams, and he never had a problem with them or tried fighting them.

Is it okay to add another rooster of the same age to the flock and not worry about them fighting over the girls. I plan on doing a lot of research and searching for one that's docile as well. I want another rooster to help watch over the flock and I'm looking into getting into breeding and incubating soon.
The other hens I have in my flock are younger EE's, leghorns, red/golden comets, barred rocks, and some bantams; porcelain d'uccles, sebrights, and OEG's. They all get along great right now.
I also live on 4 acres and free range my chickens everyday once they are full grown.
Any ideas/advice/input?

10-12 hen per rooster

10-12 hen per rooster

+1 we currently have 3 because we wanted the option of doing full breed buff orps, but the buff roo has always been an outcast and our 15 new girls seem to have at least one roo so we will likely process him at the next chance.

this will put us in the 12-15 hen per which i think is a good ratio.

Back
Top Bottom