Good rooster turned bad

I
Be very careful when you have visitors!!! This cockerel will likely try every human, and like having a pushy/ biting dog, it's a liability.
Mary
the chickens have their area that leads into most of the property fenced in for the dogs. Rarely have visitors and if I do they don’t bother with the chickens thank you though

So this is progress. I showed my son what he does when I walk in and towards him he “runs” away. We talked about the dominance thing it’s like dogs you have to be confident and show him your top boy. I thank you all for your advice as this seems to be helping. We actually cleaned out the coops together and he was no longer afraid and the roo no longer “jumped” him. There was a couple times son was crouched down he came strolling over so son stood up and he ran away.
Yes...now no more boot.
Keepers attitude(confident vs fearful) should be enough, along with 'walking thru' them on occasion. Congrats to you and your son...hope his success continues.

The advice I've given is based on the information given by the OP. There at least two children involved. This dominant and submissive stuff is just so, well, outdated and clumsy.
Yes you can scare a rooster into thinking twice about launching an attack. You can do this with most animals. Hopefully as we become more aware of why chickens behave the way they do such attitudes will fade away.
I've seen dogs cowering in a corner because the owner has used similar tactics to make the dog submissive.

If this was a single keeper the article form Beekissed may have possibilities. But this seems to be a case of family involvement and the safety of the children needs to be the priority, not the training of the cockerel. Whatever method one chooses, and there is no shortage of advice, that method takes time and consistency. In this case it reads as if time has run out and the cockerel is already tried to launch an attack on the OP's son. I just can't see family training sessions being realistic.
I've got roosters/cockerels here; 5 atm and over the years I've lost count. I've never had to try to intimidate/dominate, beat with a stick, hang upside down, or any of the other rather unpleasant so called 'rooster' training programs.
Thank you! Being 'the alpha rooster' is complete garbage. And beating the poor thing into submission is animal abuse. Thank you for comparing it to a dog being done the same way.

Back
Top Bottom