good shrub/tree for chicken run?

i have about 3 baby mulberry trees in mine - figure one of them has to survive - of course i have them fenced off - and old tires around em to keep the girls off of them

I love your pens!!

Check out my pens, I have Mexican Lemon and Guava trees in there.
265138_155508174521838_139058206166835_348027_8033604_n.jpg

253663_149964341742888_139058206166835_316063_5030528_n.jpg

and heres a video showing the trees
And if you wanna check out more pics of my pens go here
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/AA-Farms/139058206166835?closeTheater=1

We have four cherry trees where we want to put our run. They are pretty tall (as they've been here for the almost seven years we've owned the house plus several before that). I have two questions: 1.) Are these okay to have in the run with the girls? 2.) Do I need to put anything around the trunks to protect the tree/girls from getting hurt?
We are going to put netting up to cover the bigger openings of the top of the run, but the tops of the trees will be uncovered (they are just too tall. lol). And the girls will be securely locked away in their coop at night.

I built my run around a pine tree and the chickens love the different levels of branches, the bugs on it, and the shade in the summer. The tree looks better than it used to infact I had at one time debated on cutting it down, but after seeing how much the chickens enjoyed it, and how great the tree looks I decided to keed it in there. It has been five years now. My coop is seven feet tall, and built around the tree. I made a hill of dirt around the pine tree to protect the roots, ad my chicken coop is raised setting at the edge of the hill. I constantly turn the soil over in the pen because there are lots of worms under the pine needles for the chickens.

Last edited:
we are planning to fence off a separate area in our backyard to keep the girls out of the main part of the yard and patio. it is a long area along a 6 ft privacy fence that has lots of pine and native trees and some young magnolia trees, a winter witch-hazel and lorapetalum shrubs. they love to hang out under the shrubs and they are great for cover when they are roaming around the yard. I am concerned that over time their poop may damage or kill the trees and shrubs. should we use something to help neutralize the nitrogen in the chickens poop?

Back
Top Bottom