good shrub/tree for chicken run?

Eggcellent7301

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
I was wondering if anyone had any idea for a short tree with sparse leaves and good branches for roosting. we have a large run with netting overtop, the run is about seven feet high, but the branches need to be long, low and exposed, but not poisonous as i'm sure curious chickens will peck at it. we have a damp climate and need something that is not meant for dry, arid areas. thank you so much in advance to those who gave an effort into helping me:bun:clap

I would say an apple tree or pear tree but I would be surprised if it lives in the run as chicken manure is very hot fertilizer. I have used a dead tree with spaced branches pruned for shape in the runs and they last quite a while.

Quote:
Check out my pens, I have Mexican Lemon and Guava trees in there.
265138_155508174521838_139058206166835_348027_8033604_n.jpg

253663_149964341742888_139058206166835_316063_5030528_n.jpg

and heres a video showing the trees
And if you wanna check out more pics of my pens go here
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/AA-Farms/139058206166835?closeTheater=1

Quote:
Depends on the size of the run. I've had up to 15 chickens in my orchard (which is also their run) and have not had their manure kill my 13 trees. In fact, they are growing quite well. They do jump and grab low lying leaves though.

I agree it depends on where you live and what size the run is. I have a fig tree in mine. but then i let my chickens loose into the pasture to free range a lot.

Where are you? I love having miniature fruit trees around my birds because they can eat the fallen fruit and it gets them nice and fat.

We used to get living Christmas trees, and plant them in the yard in January. I have one at each end of the barn, one in the west yard and one in the front yard. I had a chicken pen for a couple of years between the trees by the barn. Mind you, our barn is a barn-shaped storage building I think it's 8x12, so the trees are pretty close together--maybe 20' apart. Last year I asked a neigbor (she is a soil scientist, with a consulting business to farmers, golf courses etc.) what was wrong with the pine tree in the front and west yard. She came over to take a look and make recommendations. As she rode up on her bike, she commented that the front yard pine looked fine--pretty typical. Same comment on the one in the west yard. Then we walked into the regular part of the yard and she saw the two by the barn...and said "OH! Now I see why you are concerned about the others. The two by the barn are lush and green with thick branches full of dark green needles. The other two are yellow-ish green with much thinner branching and needles, many of which are brown. All are the same species: eldarica, aka Goldwater Pine. Apparently two years worth of lots of chicken manure did a pretty good job. I buit a coop by the west yard tree, so hopefully it will eventually become as lush as the barn ones. No way to safely put a coop in the front yard, so I pounded in a bunch of fertilizer spikes. Probably time for more of them.

I regularly take the manure and put it at the base of plants that look like they need "something." I have yet to have anything except positive results.

I use evergreens like boxwood, leland cypress, and minature pines all around the coops. They don't ever try to perch in them, but they provide shade and cover for the juvie birds that are just venturing out. Plus I like having something green out there year round. Winter is so brown here- bleh.

we live in vancouver, a temperate rainforest
smile.png
we see lots of fig trees, but we will have about eight chickens in 314 sq feet, so i'm not sure how it would fair. but i love the idea of evergreen shrubs for winter interest
big_smile.png

It depends on what zone you are in and what you are going for. It's a long tradition to put your chickens under apple trees as it's beneficial to the trees and the chickens. I find that mine like viburnums, low Japanese maples and Spireas for going under the shady branches.

Quote:
You know, I never even thought about putting a tree in there! That is an awesome idea. I am willing to gamble with one tree and see what happens... assuming my coop & run ever get done, and ever get done with how I WANT it. It is so hard working with family sometimes
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom