Good sound or Bad sound

Sophia V

Chirping
Jul 16, 2022
One of my pullets makes this low deep "rwuck" sound when anyone goes out to them.

Not sure if this is a good sound or if this is a bad sound, like a growl. Trying to figure it out.

I posted a video link that recorded the sound. I'm new to backyard chickens and am trying to figure out the sounds and body language. I looked on line at some videos and sources on this group, but am still not sure what this pullet is communicating.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/W8x6Xad4P8RHYdbi7

They have unique voices, you're getting to know them individually. My big boss Queen Emerald makes a growly moany cluck like that. I have a freedom ranger meat hen that says a high pitched "chikkaduh chickkaduh chickkaduh" and she sounds like she's speaking in Morse code haha

She's just chatting. :)

Some will get real chatty as they get close to laying.. maybe even making more of those sounds on the day that they're gonna actually lay.. before heading to the box.

Getting close! :wee
Did not think we were that close. Only 3 months old. Thank you

Did not think we were that close. Only 3 months old. Thank you
Usually about a month or so after they red up. She's still kinda pink. Maybe more than I expect to see at 12 weeks, possibly temperature or activity related. Feather color still looks pullet from what I can see, barred boys are whiter than the gals.

My screen was dark, making her look much redder/closer. And I'm unable to zoom in on the video like I might a photo to help my diminished sight make out the saddle feathers for confirmation.

I
Usually about a month or so after they red up. She's still kinda pink. Maybe more than I expect to see at 12 weeks, possibly temperature or activity related. Feather color still looks pullet from what I can see, barred boys are whiter than the gals.

My screen was dark, making her look much redder/closer. And I'm unable to zoom in on the video like I might a photo to help my diminished sight make out the saddle feathers for confirmation.
Think they could be older. One is very red and is squating when I go to pet her. The other 2 I think are a week or 2 behind, because they are also getting redder and wattles are forming. I was told they hatched in May, so I was basing on that. I think we are closer to 4.5 - 5 months

Back
Top Bottom