Good sources of protien?

Quote:
My field pea bag says 24% I believe peas in general are around 24%.. Soybeans I believe are around 34%

-----
I think any kind of pea is OK...Getting the birds to eat them without grinding them and mixing them with something else can be a challenge..
wink.png

ON

That's right peas is 24% and soy 34%...

Chris

I'm not sure about feed store mice, but I don't think it would be a good idea. It would encourage your chickens to eat mice which is not what you want.

My chickens have been known to eat the occassional mouse but usually they will just chase them and kill them. I think that anything that is big enough that it stops moving before they can finish eating it they tend to lose interest. They will eat frogs. They will kill moles and voles and other small critters but they don't eat them (thank goodness).

My chickens love peas! I have never had to mix them with anything to "get" them to eat them. I think they would eat almost anything if they think it's a treat though. Hey, I wonder if that would work if you started doing that with little kids!?
big_smile.png

I make a flock block (usually in winter) that contains seeds, peanut butter, lots of eggs, cracked wheat, cracked corn, olive oil, mashed potato flakes, corn meal, cayenne pepper, dried spinach and anything else that's just laying around that looks like the chickens would like it. They usually eat a 9 x 13 pan of this stuff in a couple of days.

Unless your feed is less than 16% protein you can add all the Black Oil Sunflower Seed (BOSS) you want and it will not raise the protein of you feed.
Black Oil Sunflower Seed (BOSS) is on the average only around 16% protein its self (I have seen some bags that was as low as 14% protein)

If you want to boost the protein of your feed you could use -

Fish Meal,
Austrian Peas,
Maple Peas,
Vetch Peas,
Canadian Peas,
Mug Beans,
Cat Food,
Floating Catfish Food.
Meat Scraps

*A Whole Boiled egg is around 13% protein in wont do much for boosting protein.*

Chris
Chris, Im looking up "fish meal" on amazon and I am finding it in the fertilizer section.....is that correct?

Chris, Im looking up "fish meal" on amazon and I am finding it in the fertilizer section.....is that correct?
No, the fertilizer is treated differently.
Some feed mills (not feed stores) carry it or can get it for you.
Are you looking for protein to add to a home mix or a pre-baged feed?

ETA-
Ohio Earth Foods carries it, not cheap but they have it. It runs 60.00 a 50#
http://ohioearthfood.myshopify.com/products/fish-meal

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom