Good thoughts? Send them to NC ** UPDATE** Page 3

Quote:
So would my husband...He said,"don't think I wouldn't send a 13 year old to prison!" And he very much means it.

Oh, and they are taking the horse to hospital tomorrow. Apperently the vet and the "consulting" vet believe the bone fragment will have to be removed. They do how ever believ if the colt makes it through surgery, he has a better than average chance of recovering!

The vet said the good chance is due primarily to my husband reacting so quickly when he found the colt. If he hadn't been there right after it happened, they wouldn't believe the colt would recover well, much less at all!

hugs.gif
To your hubby. I know if it was me I would've been the one to stay out in the barn too.
fl.gif
Hoping for a speedy and uneventful recovery.
It's too bad there isn't an old well for that young man to fall into out in the woods
wink.png
Just kidding, sort of. I know that was mean
roll.png

Last edited:
THe vet has consulted around the country regarding the injury. It is by far the worst that has been seen in a while by some of the doctors. The bone fractures/fragments are at the base of the skull and the spine. UNC says they will not operate because the operation will cause the brain to swell.

It is very unlikely the horse will heal either way. He can not be haltered, moved, shipped for fear the bone fragment will more and peirce the brain or the spinal cord. Either way, the colt is on borrowed time.

The owners have not yet chosen to euthanize him...but it is inevitable. I guess the choice comes down to the cost of killing him now, or feeding him for a while and then killing him.

Since the horeses were never insured it's a giant loss and I would not be surprised to see the remaining horse liquidated and the farm shut down. Her husband is beyond livid!! I would be too.

I wish I had a couple thousand bucks, I would buy one of her mares for sure. They are all fairly nice horses. She has two fillies and one of the mares listed on www.equine.com. If anyone wants to buy some horses.....look up my town in NC and put in the search for "hunters" and the price rang of $6000 to $8000. All three will show up.

I am so sorry for the little colt. Years ago my roping partner walked into her pasture and called the girls over...one of them came trotting to her with a hatchet sticking in her skull. Someone had walked up to this beautiful mare and hit her in the face with a hatchet and drove away.

She survived and lived a long happy life but it makes you wonder exactly why some people cannot be euthanized instead of the harmless animals they abuse.

Oh no that's too bad. I was hoping that things would have turned for the better. I believe in Kharma, that little man will meet his maker in the end. It's so sickening to see animals suffer from the hands of humans. I will say a prayer for him to pass peacefully
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom