1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good time to get ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mochicken, Dec 16, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    We live in Missouri and the average temp for this week is only supposed to be 30's to 50's, I found a guy that is hatching Khaki Campbell ducks and is going to sell them, I have been looking into getting ducks for a while and it would be neat but is now the time to get them or should I wait for the spring? I currently have chicken babies from 2 weeks old to 5 weeks old and they are in a brooder still and its kinda a pain so I guess I answer my own question lol but I REALLY want them [​IMG]

2. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    Anytime is a good time to get something you want. However,ducklings are pretty messy when they have to be kept indoors and warm weather is a long ways off.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    mochicken, I agree with dickhorstman.

It depends on how much you can put into keeping the little ones warm enough, dry enough, etc., which can be a challenge. I brooded eleven runner babies that arrived a month early, so they were in the house for three months - it was simply too cold in the outdoor duckhouse for them. It was a late spring, too. sheesh.

It was a blast, actually, and the house didn't smell - I was changing the brooder bedding and water three, sometimes five times a day. It is practially all that I did that late winter into early spring - charwoman for ducklings.

If you really love devoting yourself to an intense experience, by all means, go for it!

For their sakes, though, think long and hard. Do a search of Duck Forum topics like "duckling mess water" - we have posted dozens of good ideas for managing water with brooding ducklings. So often, I see topics to the effect of, "They were so cute but mercy they have quadrupled in size and they poop like there's no tomorrow and I can't keep up and it stinks and WHEN CAN I GET THEM OUT OF HERE???"

It's just what ducklings do. The benefit, of course, is the unsurpassed charm and often goofiness that wraps us around their little wing feathers. [​IMG]

So. What kind of space to you have and what's your planned brooder setup?

4. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I'd say if you had to buy them from this guy then it would not be worth it. I don't know about where you live, but here they are giving 6 month old ducks away for free.

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:This. IF you have the patience and the space to deal with ducklings in the house all winter-go for it.
    But they can stink up the joint pretty fast!

6. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah thats kinda what I was thinking, I will wait till spring and hatch out my own [​IMG]

7. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    I hatch birds in winter in much colder tempertures then that. I keep them in the house for 4 weeks then they go outside to a small brooder coop i have for another 4 weeks installed with a 250 watt heat lamp by that age cold will have no effect on them anyhow.

8. LLCoyote

LLCoyote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    When they're this young, I'd personally say no. Not because it's going to be a danger to the birds, but unless you have a LOT of time, having ducks in the house isn't for you. My grandparents (before I knew anything about ducks and when I was much younger) bought ducks at Easter, just little babies. Since my cousins are lazy little butt heads I ended up being the responsible one and taking care of the animals. All I did, all day, was change duck bedding and water. They were constantly making a mess. That's why my ducks are strickly outside. I know it's possible to build outdoor brooders, but I wouldn't try it in the winter. Ducks are REALLY easy to find in the spring. Just about every type. I'd wait a few more months, get your chickens totally grown, and then get your ducklings unless you have a lot of time on your hands that you'd like to spend cleaning duck poo. [​IMG] Either way good luck and if you have the means DEFINANTLY get ducks. They're worth the work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by