Good treats for baby chicks?

Mine are 2 1/2 weeks. Since they arrived I've been giving 'em finely cut up lettuce and spinach from the garden (now adding clover and just plain old grass) boiled egg yoke and whole wheat spaghetti. They were not fond of the egg yoke at first but hae developed a taste if it's mixed with one of the other two. Tonight I gave 'em all three mixed together. That went over great. Been giving grit from the start too.

Hmmm....you could be very right about the poisons used on grapes causing allergies. My friends raise golden retrievers and I know they don't give grapes at all but they sell their dogs for over $1,000 each so maybe they are just extra careful. Even though I feed according to the starter directions, I have wondered how a mama hen lets her chicks eat stuff. LOL Makes sense mama would know best.
big_smile.png

My adult chickens love chopped up boiled eggs with shells and all mashed together and very ripe bananas.

My chicks love freshly picked grasses and weeds from the lawn. From day three and on they have loved it and it is soft enough for them. Also try to get a little of the roots from the weeds, they are very high in protein (and may have a worm or two).

I know people who feed boiled egg yolks and nothing else for the first three weeks (never tried it personally) and do very well at raising very large chickens. They raise only meat chickens, though, and I don't think that is your intention by the fact that they are already spoiled before they're even home. LOL!

They are very lucky to be coming to you. Most chicks don't get the chance to know what love and treats are from humans. You have my respect for that fact alone.

Good Luck my fellow chicken lover!

Timothy in KY

My 3 week old chicks love many of the previously mentioned treats... but one of their favorites has been catching moths from around the barn... when I have watched them playing with the caught bugs... it feels like I'm watching Jurasic park lol.
I've seen poor random crickets, grasshoppers, and moths get plucked apart and chased around..
lol.png

Now I've noticed myself becoming very excited when I see something they might like. I never thought I would get so excited to catch a moth or anything
lol.png

Quote:
LOL yes I hear ya every time I find a grub/worm. or grasshopper, I run them down to the babies and they love playing keep away hehe there are super funny with a bug.
I take care of my neighbors chickens ducks and turkey's while they are out of town for 5 years now and her momma chickens feed their babies everything, from weeds, to rubbarb, to deer elk or beef skulls put out for them to clean off, I have seen 3 day old chicks eating this stuff. whatever momma chickens take them too they eat.

Greetings all you Backyard Peeps - My First Post! BYC and this Forum are such a wonderful resource for us Newbies, thanks for all the helpful advice! My 4 week olds haven't cared much for treats beyond their starter mixed as a mash, but oh, last night the spaghetti caused quite the excitement .......... kinda like a piranha feeding frenzy! I was lucky to escape with all of my fingers intact! Such fun for my 6 chicks (2BR,2IsaBrowns,1Australorp,1BO), Sasha the Maine Coon Cat, and us 2 humans as well! Nice to be here with you all - we love our chicks!!!!!

Quote:
Welcome!! This is a great community. It's been a great resource for me and I can always find an interesting read. Got lots of coop ideas, thoughts on breeds and lots of just good chicken talk.

I don't know if it's the worm aspect or what but since they were days old mine have gone for the spaghetti...I try and keep it in fairly short pieces---but long enough to get some tug of worms going.
smile.png
Try mixing it with some cut up greens (people greens and/or grass clover and such) or the boiled egg yoke everyone mentions. Mine really didn't care for the egg until it was mixed in with the spaghetti. There are 18 of them and they can clean a saucer of boiled egg yoke greens and spaghetti--chicken pasta salad-- in 5 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom