good ventilation vs drafty hen house

Very nice coop!

I can see windows, but its not clear where your ventilation is.

The windows appear to all be closed, or is the front of your coop completely open?
The whole front of the coop is open, but no other openings in winter so any wind cannot 'blow thru'.
Depth of coop in relation to width is fairly critical.
An interesting concept that works well when properly executed.....called the Woods Coop.

Thanks for the reply's.
I think I get it now. The air should be well over their heads.
The one vent on the north side, I'm going to close the bottom half off when it gets real cold. It'll still be 3" X 14" so there will be some cross ventilation.
Mid 30's here tonight.
Nice old Round Fender @Eagleeyeice !

The whole front of the coop is open, but no other openings in winter so any wind cannot 'blow thru'.
Depth of coop in relation to width is fairly critical.
An interesting concept that works well when properly executed.....called the Woods Coop.

Very cool....!
smile.png

I was looking at my vents today, and I'm thinking that the vent on the north side is too big, so I'm going to make it smaller before winter. They are both 7" tall by 14" wide and near the top of the coop. The coop is 6' sq on the inside.
The east window is 2'X4' and the west window is 1 1/2' X2' and are both open. The large east window opens towards the run.

If you click on the picture of the vent side it will blow it up so you can see it.
Thanks

west window

vent behind the leaves-one on north and south side
east window

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom