Good vibes in Colorado: Now the Bungie & Uno story

Any news???????
caf.gif
fl.gif

The egg is still wiggling and I am exhausted. I guess a watched egg never hatches. Maybe I will have a pip in the AM.

We're all rooting for that little ducky!

I was just remembering how a few short months ago you were on here asking questions about raising ducks and now you are pro! lol. Raising babies and everything!

How is their diet going? have you been trying to cut out extra carbs or add more natural veggies?

Well, we have PIP and the beginnings of ZIP!
wee.gif

Nettie, I buy them a high protein game feed for now, but wont be able to totally do my experiment until Spring. I have a pond to dig, and I am going to try and use duck weed to help clear the water as well as feed it back to the ducks. You can make duckweed up to 50% of their feed without health issues, but I think I will keep it less than that.

Along with there commercial feed, they are free ranging in the yard and have already earned their keep by eliminating several patches of noxious weeds. I have seen them diving after bugs in the last few days too. It is finally getting nice here and the bugs are hatching. When the cats are picky and leave half of their grain-free salmon wet cat food to go stale, the ducks are happy to take care of that for them.

They also get a "salad" every morning floated on their water. Their favorite is the tips and ends of bok choy. They also like nappa cabbage, leaf lettuce scraps, peas and green beans (I had a bag of french cut beans that got freezer burned. I was going to throw them out but decided to see if the ducks would like them...they did!).

I tried to find sources for meal worms, but dammnnn they are expensive. I don't know if I can get past the ICK factor to grow my own. I may do red worms though. Worms don't bother me and I am working on a compost pile anyway.

Ok...so there is a hole on the fat end and we can see the little bill (well actually it looks pretty big and I am trying to figure out how you can get any duck in there with a bill so big), but I can also see a red vein...so i don't think the yolk sac is done absorbing. I am betting JJ wont be out until tonight or even tomorrow.

barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom