1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goodbye My Little Bird...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Miyashi, May 5, 2011.

1. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I posted a week or so ago about my cross beak chick...
    She was happy, lively, sweet....
    She was always hungry though...she spent her entire day eating and she was always covered in food. I had to give her baths every couple days.
    She was an EE....grey body, tan saddle, black feathers around her legs. Beautiful little bird.
    She was about 10 weeks old...we went to the vet this morning.
    I'm heading out to go bury her next to the other chick I tried to save from TSC last year.
    I would have held out longer...but the bantams had outgrown her...she didn't have a whole lot of feathering around her neck because I was always washing that area and she was always dirty from sticking her head in the food.
    She had a lot of excess skin and I just felt worse the longer I postponed this trip.
    I feel I did what had to be done. She napped in my lap all the way to the vet's office.
    She went peacefully, I stayed with her. Have to stay with the one's you love.
    At least she won't be hungry anymore...
    Goodbye my little Penelo-peep. (Penelope) I love you<3

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm so sorry. At least her short life was blessed with an owner as caring as you. [​IMG]

4. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Thanks guys.
    It's been a rough day.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

So sorry.
    Imp

6. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    [​IMG] bless you for making her short life the best it could be [​IMG]

7. ChicaChicken

ChicaChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

8. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    [​IMG]

9. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] God bless her soul and yours for trying the best you could..... [​IMG]

10. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Awww, I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] It sounds like you gave her a home with a lot of love and care, and sometimes that is all we can do for them. She may have had other internal problems you couldn't see as well, oftentimes if they have deformities on the outside there are things we don't know about on the inside, too. It's sweet that you stayed with her to the end and gave her a gentle, peaceful goodbye. What you did for her was a kind choice and it sounds like you made the right one on her behalf. Lots of hugs and good thoughts for you, and may the rest of your flock stay healthy and happy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by