Goodnight, Chicken

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChicksterJo, Aug 2, 2011.

1. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    After losing a couple of my favorite chickens, I decided that I really should try saying "Goodnight" to my chickens if I am able to see them before dark settles entirely. That's probably because I lost a couple of my chickens overnight, and I'd find them on the ground dead the next morning.
    Once all my chickens are up on the roost and night starts falling, I give each one a quick hug or pat, or if they hate hugs, just a simple, "Goodnight, chicken."

Anyone else say "Goodnight" to their chickens?

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Everynight as I count and close the coops.

Matt

3. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Yup, as I close the coop, then after I put the kids to bed later to make sure I locked everything right. I am taking more time right now, am making sure to pet some new youngsters and it is easier at night.

4. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Definitely, every night.

5. BWchicken

BWchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    Me too. Call me a sap, but every night it's "Goodnight my babies, I love you..."

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I always have every night since I began with mine in early 2008. The only exception has been on the rare ocassions I have been away on a trip. I always check on them at night too. My flock leader/roo always gets a hug and "I love you big boy"

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  7. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Yes! I love mty chickens soo much! I indivudially give them a hug and say goodnight, thier name, and "i love you chicky" [​IMG]
    We dont have a real coop yet, just a hutch. All our 7 chickens try to fit on the same roost whihc dosent work! A few days ago, i went in and saw that the roosters had given up thier spot to make room for the hens! How cute!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  8. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Sure, and I always get a few "boka-boka-bokas" in reply. Well, I always talk to them when I go down to close up so they aren't startled, usually say, "it's just me - everybody in bed?"...and then "goodnight, chickens".

deb g

9. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    I always say, "night night, sleep tight..I love you! See you in the morning.." Heehee

10. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I go out and tickle each of their tummies. It's funny cuz I have a few who don't like to be touched and so they usually squawk and stand up and give me the stink eye. But I just tell them that I love them and that they will learn to like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by