Goofy goose, what IS she doing?!

moenmitz

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
We gave a friend a pair of our geese, one ran off, so they now have a lone goose, who has, in the last few days, taken to trying to hatch a bottle cap. She made a nest, pushed the bottle cap in there, and plopped down on it. Apparently she is taking very good care of it, but we are not optimistic that it will grow into Pepsi...
smile.png

Question is, what age do geese usually lay? She is about 6 months now, and I thought they had to be older. Plus, since she isnt laying, isnt it odd to be exhibiting broody behavior? Is it more of a seasonal thing?

And....aside from the broody behavior, we didnt relaly know if she was a he or a she....so, do ganders ever act this way?

Thanks for settling our curiosity!

How CUTE!!!
lol.png

She is playing house.

Or her broody hormones have kicked in more likely.
Too bad she didn't lay first, but that's how it goes sometimes.

she misses her mate. Must have been mating and my guess is getting ready to lay her first egg. She needs a mate.

If she's a white chinese especially as they tend to be monogomous.

Suggest they find a mate.

Funny but sad for her.

So definitely female behavior then, correct? Thing is, before the other one took off, they were both NOT real tame-and they were going to end up in the freezer. Once she was alone though, she suddenly decided people were friends after all, and now she sits in their lap and follows them all over, and is very much a pet. I know they didnt want a pet goose, but now that they have her, not going to get rid of her or eat her- but I also know they wouldnt want TWO pets....is what she is doing definitely a sign of an unhappy goose, or could it be typical hormonal goose behavior? She does have alot of chickens she hangs out with...will she lay without a mate? What time of year do they lay?

She is very normal.

Geese can get very attached to their humans, especially when they are feeling hormonal.

One of my brown chinese geese is squatting and wanting to climb in my lap all the time, so I know she will be laying soon.

Back
Top Bottom