Google Sketchup Coop Design

Looks great, but the first thing to pop out at me is that it looks like there is some sort of flap covering the ventilation that is hinged from the bottom. I'm thinking, considering the weather around here, that you might want to hinge it from the top instead. I see that it's protected from the eaves, but you could get some water in there during some of the windier storms....(You know, the one's that creep up on you while your at work...and you can't run home to close the flap. I HATE those!)

Looks really good!!

I tried Google Sketchup, and I failed Google Sketchup.
lol.png

Thanks for all the tips everyone! Once i put the little one to bed tonight, I'll be thinking about and trying to incorporate some of them.
I'll repost when I get a new draft
smile.png

Welcome! Awesome design! I love it! You know, it can never hurt to go larger than you need. Trust me, from experience. You start with 2-3 then next thing you know you are up late staring at hatchery websites and breed selectors and you want more! LOL!!!

My husband is an engineer, I thought he overdid it when he designed our coop on some kinda solidwork or autocad at work. Far from the farmer days of "a copp raisin!" LOL!

Welcome to the forum and please keep us posted on your progress!

Shock Value, First of all, welcome to BYC from Souhteast Arkansas. Next, I downloaded your coop and did some measurements and the problem I come up with is with you nest boxes. The looked a little taller that necessary and when I measured, I realized I would need a ladder to collect the eggs. The tops of the boxes are way too high for collecting eggs. You need to lower the box or shorten it a little or open it from the front instead of the top. Other than that, I think its wonderful If you do change the top to solid, you may want to put a window in somewhere.

I went with the playhouse coop design because it incorporated the run in the same footprint. When the weaher is nice and I'm home to babysit, I can let the girls out to play (and eat my flowers, etc). Solid roof, a couple windows, lot of wire mesh. Can get away with 2x2 studs -- I used 2x3 because the were on sale at Home Depot.

Eiher way, best of luck... once your pets start giving you food, its even more fun!

What do you all think about insulation in a Pacific Northwest climate? I was planning on Brahma and Faverolles (if I can find them) which say they are both pretty cold tolerant.

I would say.... that you should build a coop and run that can fit 3 times as many chickens as you originally plan to have. Because that's how many you will end up having.
secondly, make sure you can easily access the inside of the coop, hang feeder/waterers, have electricity in there (if it gets to a hard freeze during the winter) and hat you can keep predators out!
also, why have nest boxes on both sides? Wouldnt it be easier to collect eggs if they only layed on the one side?
I am excited to see how this turns out!
pop.gif

Also, your computer skills are pretty beastly!
bow.gif

Are you going to be able to keep the run very dry? If you want feather leggers, that is a must. They must be kept clean.
I'm glad that you want chickens! Everyone should have some!

Last edited:
I had a coop with almost the exact same design as you're planning (sadly it burned down Christmas week), but I loved the design. My DH built it and made it easy to clean by having two doors with windows on the backside that opened up for easy access. He also designed the bottom of the coop like a tray, so that it could be pulled out and cleaned. With the small amount of chickens that you're talking about, you only need 2 nesting boxes, so I would move the chicken access door to the opposite end of the front and not have it in the middle of the front, to avoid as much cold wind blowing in where they roost and nest. That is the one main thing I would have changed on my coop.

Reworking the plan here a bit to allow both of the short ends to open fully. Taking a bit longer than expected, but I'll be able to post tomorrow night probably.

Since I'm not going with a transparent roofing material, does anyone have suggestions on an alternative? Looking for cheap and easy to put together... My mind is stuck on plywood and shingles, but if there's something better, I'm all ears
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom