Google Sketchup Coop Design

ShockValue

Songster
10 Years
Jan 10, 2010
West Sound, Washington
Hi all. Short time viewer, first time poster.
smile.png

I've recently become very interested in the idea of having a few chickens. They will be for eggs and as "pets". Not planning on raising them for meat at this time.
Being the geek that I am, designing and building the coop myself has really intrigued me so I've created a pretty detailed model of the hen-house in Google Sketchup.

Anyone familiar with this program? I'd love another set of eyes on my plans before I actually start to building as I've never done any chicken-business before
smile.png

The broad strokes are this:

3-4 Hens to start out with. Brahmas and Favorelles are currently at the top of my list. But not 100% on anything yet.
4x8 floor plan.
4 nest boxes (probably overkill, but I like my symmetry
smile.png
)
Clear (UV protected) roof.
Linoleum floor
hatches on each side of the house so i can push a broom/mop all the way through.

link to google sketchup model: http://filebin.ca/gfohjw/coop.skp

2hf036d.jpg

16bfsau.jpg

I'm not able to open the link to Sketchup even though I have the program. I think in general your plan looks good. I started out with a 4 x 8 A-frame with 6 RIR pullets and did just fine. It got a little tight for 6 hens when they were full grown, but I see that it looks like you are planning to attach an outdoor run. Mine only had the 4 x 8 space under the upper coop portion and that wasn't enough. The extra nests are fine since they don't take up coop space anyway, hanging outside the coop. The only suggestion I would make is to have one side of the coop completely hinged to open for cleaning. Little doors to pusha broom thorough won't cut it when it comes to a good Spring cleaning or disinfecting. You want a big door too in case you need to get into the coop to get a bird out if they're sick or whatever. You might even hinge the roof if possible, depending on how far off the ground you are planning. And be careful of the clear roof panels if you live in a sunny hot climate. Radiant heat can get a coop really tooo warm for chickens.

I find I learn best when I have an end goal. Building a chicken coop was the prod I needed to learn the program
smile.png

Either way, you should be able to at least download the model I made and see how it looks from 360'. You can turn the "sheeting" layer off to see the skeleton.

Quote:
Maybe I'm using a newer version of Sketchup? I downloaded it like 2 days ago.

About the clear roof. I was worried about heat as well. We live near Seattle, so it typically isn't that hot, but I imagine on those rare occasions it might get bad. I was planning on having the slant of the roof pointing north so it didn't get full sun. Plus the top 1' flap under the roof on the tall side swings open. I'm not sure if that will be adequate.

Welcome SV! In regards to the clear roof; It got really hot last summer!!! I would go with a non-clear roof and add a window instead. Look up the Washingtonian thread under "Where are you?" We are a pretty active bunch.

Nice start SV, and congrats for noodling this out on your computer. I like your framing plan, and you might be able to use more 2x2 lumber instead of 2x4s. On something this size, your plywood is structural so you can use smaller framing.

If you line the inside walls with thin plywood, you can fill the spaces between the studs with insulation that your siding will protect. It doesn't add to the cost significantly, and an insulated coop will stay cooler during a heatwave, and warmer during a cold spell. It also has the advantage of noise suppression. Some hens like to make a loud announcement every time they lay an egg, and in a coop with a single plywood wall, the entire wall becomes a big speaker and will transmit sound quite effectively. Block insulation fixes that problem very well.

It appears you are using 4x4 posts in the corners; do you intend to anchor them in the ground? If not, what keeps the coop from tipping?

Please consider using fully opaque roofing material instead of clear. The sun will shine through it and create a greenhouse in your coop. It's difficult to tell precisely, but it looks like you have a joist at the seams of your roofing material only, and you may want to consider adding a couple more joists on 12" centers. I would also add a 1x4 trim board across the front and the back to help stabilize the joists. Depending on the manufacturer's recommendations for installation, you may have to use a 2x4 front and back in order to secure the roofing material properly.

You may want to consider a couple of basic windows; nothing too fancy, a window frame containing plexiglass is easy to make, and you just hinge the top and provide a chain to hang it open with. Use 1/2 hardware cloth to screen it and you have it.

Again, great job on your initial drawings! (I still scribble on a sheet of graph paper with a #2 pencil for my plans...old habits die hard.)

wink.png

I'd also recommend that you make it easier to clean. You'll want full access to the interior of the coop. Perhaps you can hinge both of the end walls so the entire wall/nest box can swing open.

Back
Top Bottom