Google Sketchup Coop Design

SV, I am in the planning stages, too, for "The Duck Inn." Yes, some say their ducks won't go inside, but I plan to give them the option. In New England, this time of year, I suspect they will seek shelter.

I love your design and your presentation. Bravo!

In any case, regarding the roof material, I am staying away from shingles because I want to be able to (later) collect rainwater, and there are various arguments about the quality of rainwater collected off of shingle roofs (another topic, I don't mean to start off on a tangent, just to explain why I would consider metal roofing or more light-attenuating polycarbonate material). Perhaps you know someone who knows someone who has a scrap piece of metal roofing you could take off their hands.
smile.png

Quote:
Ours are quite similar. I only have nest boxes on one side, and they are floor height. Mine also opens by folding the side down so I can get to the eggs. On the other side where you have the other boxes, we just made that side to where we could take the panel out if we ever had to get in to clean. We used shingles and plywood for the roof and we wired over the opening under the rafters so critters can't get in and for ventilation. Our chicken door is on the same side yours is on, but we moved it to the side opposite of the nest boxes. We also included the space under the coop into the run by wiring around it. This way the birds have a dry place when it rains, and their food doesn't get wet.

Looks fabulous!! If you have a winter hardy breed I wouldn't worry too much about the NW winters. We have a similar design as yours but in a large tractor and the chickens all roost together and keep warm. Rain and wind is what we typically get for the most part; so you will want to keep in mind weather proofing the wood/siding of your coop - so it doesn't warp and rot. Too, I would suggest putting your large door at the back instead of opening up the side where the nest boxes are. Two reasons for this: one, the nest boxes will add extra weight when the doors are opened and over time will start to drag and loosen/warp the hinges; two, when cleaning it is a pain to do 1/2 then move around and finish the other 1/2. Much easier and faster to open the back and clean everything at once. If you want the coop to back up to a fence you can make the front open up instead. You will certainly want to build it large for additional chickens you will no doubt want to add in the future. They are very addicting!!
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif

Sooper Coop Mk II
big_smile.png

Changes:
Opaque Roof (Metal shown, but not decided on that)
Fully hinged walls on 2 sides for full access
Dropped and moved the nest boxes

Todo:
Windows are left out, they'll be whatever I can get my hands on...

coop1.jpg

coop2.jpg

coop3p.jpg

coop4.jpg

I tried to read most of the posts...maybe missed it, but are you planning on attaching a run. If so, here in WA it really needs to be covered. With that said I see your roof slants to the back, so have you considered how you will make the roof on the run? It sould be slanted so the rain doesn't pool on top and weigh it down. As for roofing mat. we used plywood and shingles and are very happy with it. The reason we came to this conclusion is if we buy cheap we will probably have to replace it a lot sooner, may equal same cost in the end plus double your time. I also agree, make it bigger (wish now that ours was, it's 4 x 6) chickens are VERY addictive. I too had only planned on leaving the hay market with 3 maybe 4 chicks, left with 5 that day and now have 7 total. We're already thinking about way to put a room addition on ours. As for the flooring, maybe someone can add advice on linoleum over time, how does it hold up to the abuse/cleaning/scratching from chickens? We used marine grade plywood flooring. This will prevent odor and moisture from being absorbed into the wood and help it last longer. I've found it so far has held up to all the scraping with metal shovels that I can dish out and once the shavings are out there's no smell left, love it!!! Looks like you're going to have an awesome coop. Good luck and have a blast, chickens are so much fun
thumbsup.gif

Yes, the plan is to have a run attached to the side of the coop where the ramp is. I was thinking 8x10 or 8x12. Essentially creating a peak at the top of the coop roof and then sloping down the other direction for the run. Plus the area underneath the coop for the hens to hide out, but still be outside
smile.png

SV, such good work! Or is it play?
wink.png

Just another few thoughts, since I am knee deep in design ideas myself. My plan for insulation is to have an interior plywood wall (untreated) and fill the gap between exterior and interior with fine vermiculite. It is mineral, won't burn, won't gas off if there is a fire (I pray we never cross that bridge), and is affordable.

There was a time when it was thought vermiculite had asbestos in it. I looked into that, and found that about 40 years ago in one mine there was some contamination, but the vermiculite sold now is certified asbestos-free.

I am also planning the sloped roof for the coop, with a similar roof over the run, sloping in the opposite direction. My current intent is to have the Inn roof overhang the run roof a bit to reduce (I hope eliminate, but I am dreaming) splash into the ventilation panel.

Again I thank you and everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Pax!
smile.png

Love that sign!

Back
Top Bottom