Coop Design and Construction in New Orleans

Exhibitionhouse

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2023
New Orleans
Exhibition House Coop

IMG_7147.jpeg

I wanted to post our coop design here, but am realizing I didnt take enough photos of the process. I'll try to explain as much as I can remember. Feel free to comment with any questions, critiques or tips for the future.

Duration:
It took my husband and I about two weeks to build in our spare time. He's a contractor and engineer so that helped. We have 5 hens right now.

Materials/Cost:
We used a lot of reclaimed materials, including scrap 5/8 sheathing for the siding. At first we were going to use pallet boards but it was more than a pain in the bum to get the boards off. We built our house back in 2020 and are currently renovating the house across the street, which gave us lots of little bits of scrap wood and extra shingles to build with.
Total Cost was no more than $700

Dimensions:
Run+Coop: 6 x 11ft
Coop: 5.5 x 6 ft
Run: 5.5 x 5.5 ft
Height: 6 ft sloping down to 5 ft

Doc - Aug 18 2023 - 4-36 PM.jpg

We eded up deviating from the plan slightly.

IMG_6609.jpeg

Making sure the footing frame was level and parallel with our fence was the most tedious part. We used rolled up chicken wire as makeshift rebar.

IMG_6717.jpeg

The wood that we did have to purchase to do the frame was untreated so I sealed the bottom of each one so that it wouldn't rot as fast. Ideally I would like to keep all the wood natural but eventually I will try to seal it with a clear coat to preserve the wood.

IMG_6740.jpeg

IMG_6874.jpeg

The roof hangs off about 1ft all around. There is hardware cloth covering all he openings where soffit would be allowing for ventilation all around the coop while protecting from predators. In addition to that we have carabiners on every opening except on the human door because the lock sticks enough that its hard for us to open and theres a carabiner on the chickens door going into the coop.

IMG_6944.jpeg

Ease of use was a big concern as well. The height of the coop is no lower than a wheel barrow and is easy to scrape the bedding straight out.

IMG_7017.jpeg

IMG_7064.jpeg

I forget to seal the floor of the coop to prevent mold/mildew and had to remove all the bedding and do it today.

IMG_7521.jpg

I installed a solar camera and fan to make sure they were okay with this intense heat. Additionally we added two holes to create more airflow. The holes can be covered in the winter to prevent a draft.

IMG_7520.jpg

The nesting box will be built later and added to the left hand side. I plan to go off of this design https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/. Will also need to swap out the roost bars for something sturdier and I might add another one.

Lastly, we live in a high wind/hurricane area so we made sure to use tie downs and hurricane straps all around.

I think thats it!

Not gonna make much difference.

Sorely lacking in ventilation for your climate.
Might want to remove the entire wall of coop that is protected by the run.
Oh wow okay thank you. We thought because the whole perimeter under the roof is open that would be enough but we will look into taking out a wall

Not gonna make much difference.

Sorely lacking in ventilation for your climate.
Might want to remove the entire wall of coop that is protected by the run.
I also forgot to mention that w e have this air mover blowing at the holes on the bottom to push air through to the soffit. Do you think that is helping?

Attachments

• 2B4B5E84-AA89-46E7-AE7E-00D49CBE2062.jpeg
    2B4B5E84-AA89-46E7-AE7E-00D49CBE2062.jpeg
    671.3 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom