New coop build, need help designing! (South Eastern Ontario)

You know what, my old coop design would be just about perfect for you. Here are some photos of my old coop in progress (don't use OSB like we did - it doesn't last!). It is 6x8 and has a long overhang on the back. The windows helped with summer ventilation and letting in natural light. It had about 8 square feet of ventilation just through the soffit vents, but more could be added above the door.

That does look similar, what did you do for placement of laying boxes and roosting area?

That does look similar, what did you do for placement of laying boxes and roosting area?
The nest boxes were on the same wall as the human door. I only had two placed one above the other. There is enough space in the corner near the human door for more.
I found a photo of the roost area:
chickens2016.JPG

A few more thoughts.

I live a bit west of Ottawa so expect that we are very close and share the same climate and wildlife circumstances.

I have had chickens through 4 summers and winters, initially did the free range thing but predators put an end to that. I added a covered run that has eliminated predator problems and made maintenance MUCH easier. My pop door is open 24/7, both the chickens and I are MUCH happier. An adjacent pole shed will give space that can be used year round and make your life with chickens much easier.

A 6x8 coop will accommodate a maximum of 12 chickens IF they have access to another 120 sq ft of run. Most chickens do not like wandering around in snow; 12 chickens stuck in a 6x8 space invites conflict that will make winter months very difficult.

You mention a pre-existing concrete pad of 6x8. Very easy to simply add more concrete to expand the size by a few square feet at minimal cost ($100 or less!). A 6x10 or 8x8 will increase space by either 25% or 33% AND make better use of materials if you use 4' by 8' panels. You will never regret more coop space!

You will want cold hardy breeds. The Chantecler is one of two Canadian breeds. Originated in Oka Quebec, a dual purpose (eggs and meat) that is well mannered and suited to our climate. (I have these and incubate every June, would be happy to provide a small starter group if you were interested.)

PrincessAuto sells Hardware Cloth. They put it on sale at least once a year, I have purchased a 50' x 4' of 1/2' BY 1/2" for $50.

Last edited:
. My pop door is open 24/7, both the chickens and I are MUCH happier. An adjacent pole shed will give space that can be used year
A really nice feature of this sort of set up is that you are free to come home after dark or even go away on vacation. Presumably if you are away for several days or longer you will have someone come in to check on your chickens, but they will not have to come at a precise time morning and evening to let them out/close them in. Even with an automatic door I would be uncomfortable not checking on them after it is supposed to have closed for the night.

After three summers of chicken ownership we just constructed a hoop run this fall — previously we had an area of poultry netting but one of my chickens could and would fly out. I connected it to a pre-existing tractor/coop. The freedom to stay out late is wonderful! It especially makes a huge difference in the short days of winter.

Back
Top Bottom