1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goopy Eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eco Freak, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Eco Freak

Eco Freak New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    I have a buff orpington hen, four years, that has been getting goopy, swollen eyes off and on for about six months. We are keeping her away from the other chickens and have been putting hot compresses and Neosporin on her eyes, but it only helps for a short period of time. Does anybody have any suggestions?

2. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I would irrigate the eye with saline and put her on a course of antibiotics.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like one of the chronic respiratory diseases that affect poultry such as mycoplasma gallisepticum and infectious choryza. Does she have a bad smell around her head when she is showing signs? What have you treated with in the past? Tylan 50 injectable 1 ml daily for 3-5 days would be a start, but Denegard, which is only available online would be better, since she has had the infection before. Your other chickens have probably been exposed since infected chickens become carriers. I'm not sure how attached you are to this chicken, but I might consider culling her, especially if there is a bad odor. Here is some reading on the diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by