Goose Alarm~!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AilsVonHelson, Dec 28, 2008.

1. AilsVonHelson

AilsVonHelson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Orlando, FL.
    Jus thought i had to share, perhpas it'll convince a few of you to get a goose... or 17:plbb

yesterday we bought a nice female goose, we were gonna ge 2, but that's another story.

ANYWAYSS, earlier today i notice it's too quiet, then i hear the muscovies throwng a fit and finally, momma goose is screeching like a banshee. We all rushed outside and whadayya know? The goose had fought off a small falcon. Me and the family took charge and se nt the falcon packin' in a dog kennel and released it about 25 miles north, in a mountain reserve area.

The goose is getting some treats tonight, and the mucovies now know that if you mess with momma goose, your dead. [​IMG] the 20 bucks for a screeching goose were TOTALLY worth it.

P.S: She also breaks up our muscovy drakes when they fight. She's like a peace keeper. [​IMG]

2. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Having geese is GRAND:) If all six of mine turn out to be goosie girls, I'll have to find a gander for them;) What kind did your get? How's about pics??? Yay! Mama Goose! I love my honkers:)

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I know what you mean. I havent had a hawk attack since I started leaving 2 male geese out 24/7 when the chickens are out.

4. AilsVonHelson

AilsVonHelson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Orlando, FL.
    I believe she's a white chinese. As for pictures, i need to see if i can find a camera and snap a few quick ones. We;re most likely gonna go an get her/him a mate. (She'll always have the name Mama Goose,no matter if it's a male.)

What breeds are yours?

I am absolutely dying to get me a pair of Dewlap Toulouse

5. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    What a cool story. Didn't know Geese would guard other poultry. Neat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by