Goose attacked by Turkey(s)! Advice urgently needed!

DelilahP

Hatching
Apr 13, 2024
My year old female African goose was attacked by two Toms, four days ago. She had only superficial wounds to her neck that I could see and I treated her accordingly to the best of my ability. ( I live in a rural area and the vet I use doesn’t treat avian). Sadly the neck wounds weren’t the only thing. They were attempting to peck her eyes out. Both eyes were foamy after I got her away, I rinsed with ophthalmic solution and treated both eyes with Terramycin ointment. I did that for 4 days but now her cheek is swollen really badly on the eye that actually looks like it’ll heal. Is there anything I can do to bring down her swelling or relieve the discomfort I imagine she is in? I have penicillin injections that my vet gave me for a goat that didn’t end up needing them? Would that be a good idea to give her? Once again I’m by no means a vet or anything just a small farm proprietor. And my goose is my friend. If anyone can help I’d really appreciate it!

My year old female African goose was attacked by two Toms, four days ago. She had only superficial wounds to her neck that I could see and I treated her accordingly to the best of my ability. ( I live in a rural area and the vet I use doesn’t treat avian). Sadly the neck wounds weren’t the only thing. They were attempting to peck her eyes out. Both eyes were foamy after I got her away, I rinsed with ophthalmic solution and treated both eyes with Terramycin ointment. I did that for 4 days but now her cheek is swollen really badly on the eye that actually looks like it’ll heal. Is there anything I can do to bring down her swelling or relieve the discomfort I imagine she is in? I have penicillin injections that my vet gave me for a goat that didn’t end up needing them? Would that be a good idea to give her? Once again I’m by no means a vet or anything just a small farm proprietor. And my goose is my friend. If anyone can help I’d really appreciate it!
:welcome Welcome sounds like a sinus/resp. infection. The foamy eyes and swollen sinus area is all symptoms.

I’m so sorry that happened! It is not a good idea to give the medicine from the goat to the goose because medicine is made specifically for the breed. Ask your vet. Sending prayers!❤️🙏

Do you have any meloxicam? That will help relieve the discomfort and take down the swelling. Also, if you have eyedrops (sterile eye flush, the kind used to flush out human eyes usually found in a first aid kit- make sure nothing is added like to sooth red eyes or anything) that can help with clearing out her eyes.

Back
Top Bottom