Goose behavior!

Lover duck duck

Songster
6 Years
Apr 10, 2018
We have a 2 yr old male goose who imprinted on my husband when he was a day old all the way till he was 1 yr old. Now he is 2 and has 2 females that I bought as babies and they are now 5 months old. My husband lets him and the girls out of the pen in the mornings and evenings and they follow him like puppy dogs. So now we would like to know from experienced goose owners why does the male goose try to climb on my husband all the time and when my husband sits on the grass he starts to groom him. Is he just being friendly or does he think my husband is his mate? 😂😂😂😂 This goose can’t even hear my husbands voice cause he starts to scream loud. Don’t get me wrong my husband loves him to death but we are just trying to understand the behavior. Thanks.

It's mating behavior. The gander still regards your husband as his mate. Eventually he will transfer his affection to the geese. Many years ago I had a human imprinted gander that regarded me as his flock. When he was 3 or 4 I got some goslings that he adopted. He eventually paired with one of them, and jilted me. :(

It's mating behavior. The gander still regards your husband as his mate. Eventually he will transfer his affection to the geese. Many years ago I had a human imprinted gander that regarded me as his flock. When he was 3 or 4 I got some goslings that he adopted. He eventually paired with one of them, and jilted me. :(
Thank you so much. That’s what we were thinking. I guess since the girls are still very young he is not interested in them yet.

Back
Top Bottom