goose being alienated

Mentzer6

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 30, 2010
Up until a few weeks ago, our 3 geese were getting along fine. I believe we have 2 males and 1 female. The younger of the 2 males (by a couple months)runs off the other one. I thought they would work it out. The bullied goose can't even sleep with the group anymore and we have to walk him into the chicken coop so he will stay dry and warm. The geese live with 8 ducks and they are torn, they seem to want to be with the older goose as they were all raised together. Any advice? They are all around 8 months old.

I would say get another girl if you can. If you were close to me- I have a bunch of extras.

But-this just happened to me with a new gander. I started putting him in the chicken coop the our oddball friendly goose at night, and letting them out first in the morning so they could bond. Then the rest of the flock would come out about 1/2 hour later. Gradually I opened the door between the chicken coop and the goose pen at night so they can move back and forth, and everybody is getting along. Phew! Its so sad when one of them is left out- I feel your pain!

I agree. If you can find another female, definitely snatch one up. This happens very frequently when there are two ganders. They will alienate the one. Sometimes there will even be fights. I don't have any extra females at all. I fear I have an overabundance of males this year myself.
sad.png

Good luck.

Laurie

Up until a few weeks ago, our 3 geese were getting along fine. I believe we have 2 males and 1 female. The younger of the 2 males (by a couple months)runs off the other one. I thought they would work it out. The bullied goose can't even sleep with the group anymore and we have to walk him into the chicken coop so he will stay dry and warm. The geese live with 8 ducks and they are torn, they seem to want to be with the older goose as they were all raised together. Any advice? They are all around 8 months old.
I actually have the same problem...I've got 3 geese and we asked for 1 boy + 2 girls
The largest is definitely the boy but the other two...not so sure
Anyways, the smallest one is being bullied. The other two won't let her eat. I've tried feeding her separately but she won't eat if the other two is not around, she'd go & find them.
If I feed her with the other two around, they'll just come over and try to eat her share. She is not grazing very much either but seems to like dandelion greens.
the geese are all raised together and we've had them for a few months now. I can't separate them coz they'll just start to look for the missing one frantically & make lots of noise.
Meanwhile they still keep bullying the smallest, poor thing :(

Back
Top Bottom