GOOSE BREEDING THREAD - for breeding, incubating, hatching and rearing.

I'd wait till after breeding season if they are a bonded pair. But remove him and put hi m and drake somewhere and give your goose some peace.
I'd try it , how many eggs left? especially since your not doing so well on hatching give her a chance. you've candled and it's dif alive right?
Probably an obvious question, but how can I tell if they are a bonded pair?

The drake doesn't try to breed or bother the goose, just the gander. So you think I should take the gander away now so she can sit by herself, or wait until after breeding season? I could put the gander in with the sheep for now if you think I should remove him.

I only have one egg out of 14 developing. I'll candle it again in a few days, to see if it's still growing. I'm pretty sure it's still growing as of Friday.

Probably an obvious question, but how can I tell if they are a bonded pair?

The drake doesn't try to breed or bother the goose, just the gander. So you think I should take the gander away now so she can sit by herself, or wait until after breeding season? I could put the gander in with the sheep for now if you think I should remove him.

I only have one egg out of 14 developing. I'll candle it again in a few days, to see if it's still growing. I'm pretty sure it's still growing as of Friday.
Bonded by are they inseperable do they do everything together including mating? If so I wouldn't get rid of him until breeding season is over But if you think he may cause problems when the gosling hatches or him and the drake could cause the death of the gosling by tramping on it when it hatches I'd remove them and give mama goose and gosling sometime to themselves usually after a week the gosling is pretty strong but they can easily get injured or killed when being stepped on when first hatched. If he's beoig a good boy and only the drake is causing problems then remove the drake and leave mama and papa to themselves.

My two Embden geese were only 1 year old when they started laying and i thought the same thing, too young they wont keep with it. So i took alot from them ended up with over twenty eggs in the incubator. Five hatched all others were unfertile. Dont you know between the two of them they laid another 22 eggs, 13 hatched but three died shortly after hatching. I went from 3 geese to 18 in the first year. So I'd say she'll most likely be fine, its kind of cool how they just seem to know just what they have to do.

One of my 3 day old Goslings is getting "cleaned" obsessively on his back by the others, 1 in particular, to the point now where he is sore.

I have put some toys in the brooder which distracts them for a few seconds then it resumes again. I tried separating it from the others but is spent it's whole time, a couple of hours, stressed and trying to get back with them, without even sleeping or eating etc so I put it back.

Does anyone know of any household product or foodstuff I could put on his back to stop this habit, without hurting the other goslings?

There is nowhere local to me that would sell the stop peck stuff I know you can get in the UK. I am going back in late April, but I want to try something before there is serious damage done.

One of my 3 day old Goslings is getting "cleaned" obsessively on his back by the others, 1 in particular, to the point now where he is sore.

I have put some toys in the brooder which distracts them for a few seconds then it resumes again. I tried separating it from the others but is spent it's whole time, a couple of hours, stressed and trying to get back with them, without even sleeping or eating etc so I put it back.

Does anyone know of any household product or foodstuff I could put on his back to stop this habit, without hurting the other goslings?

There is nowhere local to me that would sell the stop peck stuff I know you can get in the UK. I am going back in late April, but I want to try something before there is serious damage done.
Can you get a product called Blue Kote? are you in the USA? Blue Kote has gentian violet in it and is used on wounds to help heal and disguise it works great with poultry especially chickens because they are drawn to wounds or red skin. So putting some on your gosling may discourage the cleaning since the baby's back will look totally different. It will be purple. if you can get it make sure it's safe to use on young poultry I have used it only on adults. Might be able to find info on line. I wouldn't be without it though. You just have to be careful when using because what ever it touches it stains. on the water fowl it eventually comes off with bathing but on us it takes forever.

Back
Top Bottom