Goose companion have to be same breed?

Zenhen1

Songster
Mar 19, 2021
HELP!
I am interested in getting a couple geese. At first it was more for being guard geese and then I found out they have loving personalities if raised right. I know it is said that they need another goose or they will get lonely. I only want to have 2 total. So I am wondering if they need to be the same breed?? I really would like to have a Toulouse and maybe a Super African? Also if that is possible would they need to be same sex or can I get away with one of each? We are not interested in having goslings so either way is fine with me. Any other advice, tips, recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Different breeds should be fine.

I think any combination of genders will also be fine, which means you won't have to look for a source of sexed goslings (some places sell them sexed, some do not.)

Different breeds should be fine.

I think any combination of genders will also be fine, which means you won't have to look for a source of sexed goslings (some places sell them sexed, some do not.)
Thank you!

Yup, should be good. I have an embden/gray saddleback pom couple in one area, and then 4 different breed females all together that do great. Geese dont really judge each other too much if you raise them together, they just like to have another goose to keep company.

The problem with having a pair is come breeding season ((right now), ganders can be total jerks. That loving personality will be a distant memory. If eggs and goslings are not on the radar, go with 2 ganders. I have found the boys to have more outgoing personalities, more helpful (doglike) then the girls and most people are more eager to give away or sell nice ganders and keep the girls.

The problem with having a pair is come breeding season ((right now), ganders can be total jerks. That loving personality will be a distant memory. If eggs and goslings are not on the radar, go with 2 ganders. I have found the boys to have more outgoing personalities, more helpful (doglike) then the girls and most people are more eager to give away or sell nice ganders and keep the girls.
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but do multiple ganders not tend to turn into jerks in the spring if there are no females around? Or do they fight anyway? Or do they tend to not fight like roosters and toms at all?
I haven't had geese for a long time. And when I did, I had a pair. I'm currently thinking about getting a few. (Maybe 4)

I've kept groups of ganders separate from the breeders. When it was their turn to free range, they would run down and squawk and fight through the fence with the ganders in with the girls. After 5 mins, they would shake their little tail feathers and strut off. They never sparred amongst themselves.

I've kept groups of ganders separate from the breeders. When it was their turn to free range, they would run down and squawk and fight through the fence with the ganders in with the girls. After 5 mins, they would shake their little tail feathers and strut off. They never sparred amongst themselves.
Interesting. And they didn't get "shitty" towards you in the spring either?

Back
Top Bottom