1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goose covered in Ice!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by amity3520, Dec 17, 2009.

1. amity3520

amity3520 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    This is our first winter with the geese, so no idea if this is normal or not! Our gander is covered in ice, all down his front, like little ice pellets. His feet are fine, and his beak seems okay, and he's definitely fine, but is this okay? They weren't swimming today as their pond is frozen solid, but he's been playing in the water bucket trying to swim in that, inside. They have the option to be in or out all day and now they're locked in for the night in the barn which isn't very drafty, but is he going to be fine? I'm thinking since they have so many feathers anyways he's probably not phased by it, but I'm just not sure.

Mild novice panic!
    Thanks for your help!

2. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    The feathers underneath on a goose is so thick and heavy that goose probably has no clue it is even cold outside. If anything he is probably very confused as to why his water is hard lol

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Mine will bathe in their water when it is 0 degrees out - water they splash on themselves freezes almost instantly. I think they like it - winter jewelry.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    My sebbie crackles when she walks. [​IMG]

The other day I could see she was shivering, so I picked her up and put her under my coat. She was happy as anything. Man did she have cold feet. Brrr.

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I think it's time for Cottage_Rose to post a picture of her sebbies out at the pool in the snow.

6. amity3520

Sep 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    It's definitely relieving to know that my goose isn't the only one who doesn't mind being covered in ice! If I were them I'd want a heater out there, man it's cold in New England this week! Sometimes I forget they're animals... [​IMG]

7. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

mine gets all icy too. Doesn't seem to bug him!

8. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Quote:Sorry I can't because I have to renew my subscription to my photo hosting website...
    but your goose will be fine as long as it gets proper feed and shelter.
    I did have a customer who lose 3 Sebastopols to hypothermia/starvation because during some bad winter weather her African geese bullied them, they couldn't get enough food, they were out all night with no shelter
    and died...so proper care during cold winter months is very important.

9. amity3520

Sep 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Does anyone know what frostbite on a goose foot might look like? Our gander's webbing on one side of his foot has turned white, or at least paler than the rest of his foot. He doesn't seem to be favoring it at all, but could this be frostbite? If so, what can we do to treat it?

Thanks in advance!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by