Goose discipline?

AliceCaelum

Chirping
May 11, 2019
What is the most effective method in disciplining a goose? Mine is very stubborn and is very determined to chew hair and nip fingers. I have tried bopping him on the head, saying stop, pulling his head away, even hissing but he just continues like nothing happened. Do I just keep doing it and hope he eventually stops, or is there a better way? He is 2.5 weeks old.

I wouldn't be doing any of that. It's telling you it doesn't like the interaction. Is it your only goose? It needs to company of it's own kind for it's mental well being. Are you picking it up? Holding it? Handling them too much when young can lead to more problems down the road. It needs to know it's a goose.

Yes he is my only goose and he has imprinted on humans. I am home full time so I spend lots of time with him and go outside with him every day so he can explore and graze. He is more of a pet than livestock so I have been trying to train and discipline him.

I think the most troubling thing to discourage is him trying to eat hair because he goes after anything string-like. Yes he does spend a lot of time outside so he gets to pick at grass.

I would at his age, try to avoid situations where he can do the bad behaviors. Keep you hair up, and your fingers out of the way so those behaviors don't become habits.

I've had my geese since last year. They aren't a bird that takes to any sort of training in my limited experiences. Hopefully someone more experienced can help out.

Geese are inquisitive and like to chew things. He’s also a baby and they tend to like to nuzzle and nibble their parents, it isn’t an agressive thing at this age but they don’t always know the difference between nibbles and bites.
Teaching him the right level of pressure is important, when my geese were little I rubbed their beaks when they nibbled so they could feel what acceptable pressure is, if they bit to harshly I immediately say “no!” in a stern voice and hold their beak with more pressure, not hard, you don’t want to hurt them, just enough to make them want to pull away. It teaches them that they were biting to hard and the difference between gentle nibbles and bites.

Geese are social and so they will see you as family as long as you continue to socialize and interact with them. If you don’t he will see you as a rival come breeding season and may attack you.

What is the most effective method in disciplining a goose? Mine is very stubborn and is very determined to chew hair and nip fingers. I have tried bopping him on the head, saying stop, pulling his head away, even hissing but he just continues like nothing happened. Do I just keep doing it and hope he eventually stops, or is there a better way? He is 2.5 weeks old.
I am in the same boat as you. But I just found this very helpful website fro. Someone who has goose experience. I hope you also find it helpful. https://housegoose.com/?id=380

I'm just curious because although I don't feel as though I've had any of these problems, when I'm sat cuddling with the younger one, Norbert, the older brother will begin to tug on my clothes as if to say " daddy, pick me up I want a cuddle too!" But thing is I e tried this with him before and he doesn't like it that much.. I think it's jealousy but I don't know how to deal with it because if I try to give him attention or pet him in the same way he will waddle off.

I'm just curious because although I don't feel as though I've had any of these problems, when I'm sat cuddling with the younger one, Norbert, the older brother will begin to tug on my clothes as if to say " daddy, pick me up I want a cuddle too!" But thing is I e tried this with him before and he doesn't like it that much.. I think it's jealousy but I don't know how to deal with it because if I try to give him attention or pet him in the same way he will waddle off.
I have had the same problem. I think it more of him telling me "put my brother down!"

Back
Top Bottom