Goose eggs- good eats?

dadthebaker

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 7, 2011
Los Angeles Area
We went to our local pesticide free farm this morning for our weekly shopping. While there, we tour the animals and throw them scraps.

There is a goose run and there were three eggs on the ground and a ground squirrel was going near one of them. I went in and shoo'd him away. I picked up the eggs and took them to the farm manager and told him what happened, that I didnt want to see the eggs get damaged.

He asked me if I wanted them, otherwise just throw them away! duh! I took them, but he said, that he cant gaurantee the quality of the eggs.

I am relatively new to chickens and have no clue on goose eggs.

How often do geese lay eggs?
How long before a goose egg is not edible? (last week, there were no eggs on the ground, so I would assume that these are at the most a week old)
Are they good eats?

I was originally planning on cooking them and feeding them to my hens, but heck, if they make a tasty omelette, why not?

Honkingly yours,

Dad

CelticOaksFarm

Family owned, family run
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Florida - Space Coast
Eggs of unknown age left on the ground and in sun I wouldn't be so quick to eat myself. Goose eggs are good for baking, but I would error on the side of caution eatting an egg like what you got. That's just me though. We collect all of our eggs for eatting two- three times a day depending on the time of the year.

Lollipop

Songster
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Pike Co., GA & Palm Beach Co., FL
Tell ya what, Dad, I would do a float test on them and see if thay are good. Get a bowl of water and put the eggs in. If they float, feed tham to the fowl. If they sink, eat them. I love'm myself, and a week old egg should still be plenty fresh. I once had a little Spanish game hen that layed 10 eggs over a months time in the hot FL August sun and hatched all 10. They had to be good for that to happen. Give it a shot. Goose eggs are great.........Pop

Oregon Blues

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Central Oregon
Goose eggs can sit out for a month and still hatch. So, I think that qualifies as fresh.

Float test them, then crack them in to a separate bowl before you add them to you ingredients. They are probably a day old because if the farm doesn't pick eggs up, some critter will come along and eat any eggs left out in the open.

Taglienti07

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Streator, Il
Goose eggs make great brownies. We also scramble them. The flavor is a little richer than chicken eggs and the texture is a little rubbery. We like them best scrambled and then cooked in a thin layer on a pan. This makes a great addition to a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich. A goose egg is equivalent to about 3 chicken eggs if you are baking with them.:D

Top Bottom