Goose eggs in winter?

My Embdens were hatched April 2, 2013. They began laying October 5, 2013 and as of today November 29, 2013, they are still laying. There is one male and two females. The girls each lay an egg every 36-48 hours. I also have Toulouse. One male will be 5 yo this spring, 4 females that will be 4 yo, and 4 of this year's goslings who are 3 weeks younger than my Embdens. While they are not actually together, they all share the same house, pens, lighting, etc. Until the Embdens started laying, they were also getting the same foods. Now the Embdens get layer feed mixed in as well as free choice oyster shell and calcium carbonate. Not one of the Toulouse is laying or showing any breeding behavior. The Embdens are breeding. No signs of going broody, but I do collect eggs every day. I wrote the breeder when this began. They said I could cause more harm trying to stop it. I'm hoping they stop soon. I'm in Western WA and as the weather gets colder, I want their energy going to keeping well, not laying eggs. They are perfectly healthy, but this is not normal for geese. I can't even find other instances of this by googling. Anyone here have or had this happen?

It is not horribly uncommon for geese to lay eggs for a time in the fall/ winter. It has to do with the amount of daylight. I would guess that they will stop laying eggs soon and then pick up again in February or March. I am no expert though.
idunno.gif
People in Florida are gearing up for breeding season. Last year my friend who got Embdens that hatched in July started mating in January. In early February they started laying eggs.

I do sell the eggs since I'm vegetarian and don't eat my birds or the eggs. It helps towards the feed bill! The great thing about my geese and peafowl is they're seasonal breeders and layers, which I believe helps to contribute to a longer life vs my chickens and ducks who pump them out year round. I guess I'll just ride the wave till it stops!

Back
Top Bottom