1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goose Eyesight

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Oregon Blues, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    My new gander has pale blue eyes and I actually wondered about his eyesight, a bit worried that he might be blind. But he sees like any other goose. He watches things that are 100's of feet away, doesn't miss a thing, and notices fine detail.

So it got me wondering. I wonder if geese have excellent eyesight because they are an extremely high flying bird. OK, mine don't fly, but in nature; the geese who are their ancestors are high flyers. There would be an advantage to be able to see the ground and what was there from high in the sky, so nature would have favored the best eyesight.

2. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    I'm guessing the excellent eyesight also is a great advantage when it comes to predators. Combined with a photographic memory (as in "Hey, that thing wasn't here before; must be a potential threat") they are not as vulnerable when on the ground.

My goose will warily watch as airplanes pass over the sky. Sometimes they're so far up that I have trouble seeing them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by