Goose housing

DreadedMoonMama

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 26, 2012
How do you house your geese? I mean, like, if someone asked me what they needed for a chicken coop, I'd say a roost and a nesting box. What do you do for geese? I have 1 month old gosslings and they're still in the brooder with their "sister" chickens. The two of them poop soo much that I have to clean the brooder at least every other day or else the geese are laying in their own poop all night. Is it going to be the same when I move them? Am I going to have to clean their house out every single day? I'm adding another gosling on Thursday so I'm worried about adding that much more poop to the current situation. lol

How do you house your geese? I mean, like, if someone asked me what they needed for a chicken coop, I'd say a roost and a nesting box. What do you do for geese? I have 1 month old gosslings and they're still in the brooder with their "sister" chickens. The two of them poop soo much that I have to clean the brooder at least every other day or else the geese are laying in their own poop all night. Is it going to be the same when I move them? Am I going to have to clean their house out every single day? I'm adding another gosling on Thursday so I'm worried about adding that much more poop to the current situation. lol
Mine have their own house now, donated lumber windows and roof. thanks to friends.

I use pine shaving inside and go in daily and scoop out the poop then just turn over bedding takes just a few minutes. I don't put water or food inside.

Last edited:
That's awesome! So it's just a pine shaving floor - no nests or anything needed? Also, I don't usually give them food at night but I do give them water...at what age do you think they're ok going without water overnight?

That's awesome! So it's just a pine shaving floor - no nests or anything needed? Also, I don't usually give them food at night but I do give them water...at what age do you think they're ok going without water overnight?
Since I haven't had goslings yet, I have to go by my ducklings, I usually stop putting food and water inside at 2-3 weeks. They don't go inside to close to 7:30 pm or later on most nights ands I let everyone out at 6:15 am. When my goose was sitting on her eggs [non fertile] I put up a piece of plywood made like a half wall so she had some privacy. it was about 2X2' . only shaving on the floor with vinyl underneath.

I had geese for many years, they just need a large wooden/metal box big enough for as many you have at nesting time, I built mine from old wood & pallets. I had 2 using 1 nest the 1st year. Next year they built 2 individual nests but still in the same shed. Never had fighting problems.
Last but one pic shows Marti using the lean-to I attached the 2nd year for a bit of privacy!

the 2 of them on 1 nest, they got on really well

Berni, 2nd year, I kept goslings in the box as hatched

Berni, Marti & Otto in snow!

Goose house new, pallet at top & bottom

Marty in lean-to built added 2nd year

My other duks!

I had geese for many years, they just need a large wooden/metal box big enough for as many you have at nesting time, I built mine from old wood & pallets. I had 2 using 1 nest the 1st year. Next year they built 2 individual nests but still in the same shed. Never had fighting problems.
Last but one pic shows Marti using the lean-to I attached the 2nd year for a bit of privacy!

the 2 of them on 1 nest, they got on really well

Berni, 2nd year, I kept goslings in the box as hatched

Berni, Marti & Otto in snow!

Goose house new, pallet at top & bottom

Marty in lean-to built added 2nd year

My other duks!
Nice pics, lovely geese and ducks.

I keep mine as "barnyard geese" mainly in the open but with a shed for shelter if they want it. They never do. They hang out by the pond or (curses under breath) in the driveway. During breeding season, I put them in a safe fenced yard, but they really don't need shelter like a chicken.

We have predators really bad out here, so I definitely want some way to lock them up at night. BUT we also don't get up super early in the morning, so they're locked up probably 12 hours a day between sundown and when we get up and let them out in the morning. I could always ask my husband to let them out in the morning, but it's still dark when he leaves and I'd be afraid there'd still be some racoons weasles or foxes hanging out around then. :/

I keep mine as "barnyard geese" mainly in the open but with a shed for shelter if they want it. They never do. They hang out by the pond or (curses under breath) in the driveway. During breeding season, I put them in a safe fenced yard, but they really don't need shelter like a chicken.

How do you keep predation at bay? .

Back
Top Bottom