Goose Incubation & Hatching Guide - Completed!!!!

Pics
I'm new to geese and sooooo inexperienced with them. I have only had them a couple of months. I have 6 Sebastopols, 4 males and 2 females but I'm not sure about that. I have 2 American Buffs, a pair and the hen is the one that seems to be laying at this point. I have 4 eggs. These all came from the same lady but since she said one male Sebastopol is bonded to the 2 Sebastopol hens, I needed to get 3 hens for the 3 bachelors. I found 2 Chinese and one Toulouse hens.

I believe I was told the AB pair laid last year but all the other hens, including the Chinese and Toulouse hens will be laying for their first time this coming season.

I have the 4 eggs and I want to put them in the incubator. What temp do I need to use? My incubator is holding at 100 degrees temp and 16 degrees humidity - without the eggs, for 3 days. The first poster said a temp of 37.5C but what is that in the other temp reading? OP also said 45-55% humidity, would that be through out the incubation or does it need to be changed at some point? I would prefer a dry hatch but with my incubators holding at 16%, that won't be good. The vents are fully open, I have lost the plugs. LOL

The eggs are dirty and I read they need to be spritzed with water at some point but I don't want them to get some sort of infection before they are even hatched. The first post on this thread said something about washing the eggs if needed. How was this done? I have not had a lot of luck with washing chicken eggs and trying to hatch them.

I have both a forced air and a still air incubators, I have egg turners for both but I don't think I can use them for goose eggs, they are for chicken eggs and the duck eggs are a little large for it.

The first poster says to collect them for no more than 14 days, well mine are 5 days old for the oldest. I don't know that I want to hatch more than that at this point. I was planning on putting 3 in but the hen skipped a day and since yesterday was Thanksgiving, I waited until today and poof! There's another egg and a confirmed mama on it. I have written the dates I collected them on them.

The OP says to start misting at day 6 and it looks like he mists for 5-10 minutes? Isn't that a long time for them to be cooling?

I want to turn them by hand and an article I read says to turn them 180 degrees but right now I don't remember if it said how many times a day.

I have avoided mentioning the weighing because I won't do that at this point. I have had very good luck hatching chicken eggs with the dry hatching method and want to do as close to that as I can for the geese. I am sorry if my post seems rambling, I have tried to combine information and questions where I can.

Does anyone know of a list, kind of day to day of what to do while hatching them? Thanks and thanks for reading all of this. LOL

Im soo confused bc I FOUND A GOOSE EGG here's pics

Its about 3 inches but in the pic its a large chicken egg next to it

So how many should I get? And why wasn't it in a nest maybe bc it was first egg in a while?
Where was it? not unusual for them to lat them in odd places when first laying. I'd leave that one in her nest or bedding as a hint. And you can get as many as you want to but mark them as laid so when you decide you have enough you can check for fertility usually the first few aren't fertile. Are you going to incubate? Might want to reconsider since that would mean a long time in the house with goslings that grow very fast and are extremely messy. She will lay again in the spring.

Ohh its really warm here and I was gunna hatch and sell. But it was laying in some hay but it was her first egg
I'd still put the egg in where they sleep in a secure house so she will be safe and the egg will be safe and cleaner. Are you going to let her brood if she wants too?
It's really warm in Colorado? That's hard to believe, and what about 28-30 days from now?

Back
Top Bottom