Goose, infertile eggs, & adoption?

aja19919

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 22, 2011
Good morning,

I have a pair of "mutt" geese and got them as 'toddlers'. There are very similiar in coloring and I can barely see a difference in physical traits other than one has a squared tail and one has more of a pointy tail, but not 100% sure if that is consistant.

I have never seen these guys mate. One has laid eggs in a dog house and has been sitting on them for at least 3 weeks (perhaps longer, I haven't kept track) The other goose goes on about its business and occasionally will go in the dog house and sit w/ the other goose. Lately the broody goose has been coming out more and more but will go back on the nest.

My questions are:

1 Based on behavior is it possible to guess the sex of the other goose? I have one female for sure. Duh.

2. If the eggs haven't hatched by next week, should I get some goslings from the feed store and see if they get adopted by them? The broody one was very interested in the ducklings this morning.

Thank you
Amy
Seattle WA

With my geese, they tend to mate in their pond in the mornings and at night, but they also do it at random other times. It is possible that yours are still yearlings, and both girls. Sometimes geese don't lay till their second year. If it hasn't gotten aggressive this spring, I'd say it is likely a girl. Even my nicer ganders got more hiss going on starting in January.

I had 4 week old goslings adopted by a grown pair of geese that I found on craigslist . . . I'm sure she would love a gosling! Geese love to be parents . . . I might do that for one of mine, who lost her mate and isn't looking like she's going to have any little ones . . .

And welcome! We are an hour north of Seattle . . .

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. My questions have been put to rest so to speak. Something grabbed my goose and made off with her early this AM. I candled the eggs and they were all clear Double :( Now I am not sure what to do w/ the remaining goose. It doesn't seem to interested in the ducklings.

Thanks for the input. My questions have been put to rest so to speak. Something grabbed my goose and made off with her early this AM. I candled the eggs and they were all clear Double :( Now I am not sure what to do w/ the remaining goose. It doesn't seem to interested in the ducklings.

I'll just betcha that the other goose will be lonely. Geese are so family oriented that the remaining goose will love to have goslings and will care for them, even if she's not broody or even if it's a gander. Had it happen several times. Go ahead and get some goslings and see for yourself. It warms the heart..........Pop

Okay, thanks Pop, that is good to know. The feedstores are sold out for the season, so I will have to look on Craigslist. I have 15 Ancona ducklings coming in two weeks and thought MAYBE the goose would like to be a giant babysitter for them.

Okay, thanks Pop, that is good to know. The feedstores are sold out for the season, so I will have to look on Craigslist. I have 15 Ancona ducklings coming in two weeks and thought MAYBE the goose would like to be a giant babysitter for them.

LOL, not sure about ducklings, but they sure cotter to their own kind. He/she might do well with ducklings. I have two ganders left from the 7 geese I had when moving them to the woods in "08. Last Fall I had a chicken hatch 7 chicks and the two ganders adopted the whole family. I eventually ended up penning the two pullets and have two cockerals loose in the yard. The ganders still like being with them, even though they are nearly grown. Ducklings may work, lol......Pop

Back
Top Bottom