Goose Keeping?

I just picked up one at the local poultry sale. I am treating her for a scraped head with neosporin.

She hisses at every animal that comes near her. I think It is cute. My little dog got too close and she put her beak completely over his nose. The dog does not go near her now.

I am only allowed to pick her up if she bites my hand or shirt first. I just talk to her and she quickly calms down. She lets me treat her without too much fuss.

When I take her back outside she tries to jump down and once again bites whatever part of me is closest. I just talk to her, get her to a safe part of the yard, and gently let her down. The bites really dont hurt, but I keep my face turned away just in case.

She hops straight for my small pond. She has already laid an egg bigger than even the turkey eggs. Instant breakfast.

She does not chase anything, and keeps close to the pond.

I like her.

I had a couple of geese once. The best part was when they would follow you around the yard. They were great watch dogs and would bluff charge ppl or dogs but never me. ( I charged back) We finally go rid of them because of the mess and they could really scare visitors. We gave them to a neighbor but I really wish we had eaten them as I have never had goose. Well maybe someday.

I LOVE my geese. Mine are Sebastopols which are known for their calm temperment. Only the males are a little aggressive during breeding season. The females will only hiss at me if they are sitting on eggs.
They love to swim in a little kids pool (which is very easy to dump out and refill) and they keep the lawn "mowed". They dont dig and scratch the garden like chickens nor do they snorkel in the dirt like ducks. They just neatly bite down the grass blades, weed leaves, and the occasional rose leaf. If you pick weeds from your yard to feed the growing goslings, they will grow up to be great weeders.

They can share a pen with chickens, but they need a bucket of water or a deeper waterer to rinse their eyes and nostrils if they dont have a pool available some of the time. They can free range during the day but may need to be locked up at night depending on what type of predators you have.

The little rascals also like to untie my shoes and pull the labels off stuff.

chel
(not me in pic)
0703a-2.jpg
100_0135.jpg

100_0321.jpg

000_0006.jpg

I have a pair of geese they are no trouble whatsoever. They wander free range and graze on grass almost all year.

Occasionly they come up by the porch and mooch a little old bread. and in the winter I feed them corn when snow covers the grass.

I think they are pretty good watch dogs too. They usually give the first alarm when someone is pulling in the drive.

They just started a nest so I am going to have some babys to trade for something. They are kinda messy so I dont want a huge herd or gaggle or whatever. But they do add a litttle something to the homestead atmosphere lol.
I started with one but she seemed kinda lonely. A lady down the road sold me a gander (who is now chasing my dog due to the nest). I think they are quite entertaining

We have 4 geese. I would study up if I were you. They can be quite a challenge during breeding season! The Embdens have the worst reputation too, though we have no experience with this breed specifically. I imagine much depends on your reason for getting them. If it's for meat, by fall, you should have some nice table birds. If its for eggs, skip the gander. If its for lawn ornaments, start with a couple. If your raising them from day-olds, don't hand feed them.

They're fairly easy to care for, but like ducks, they'll be happier around water. Again, I'd recommend researching before indulging. I think temperaments vary a from breed to breed. We've heard wonderful things about Pilgrims, good for beginners. Your feed store can probably order these special for you.

i have two geese one i bought from a pet rescue where she was dumped off and the other is now almost three months old.they can be messy but i still think ducks are worse(i have 5 of them) mine follows me around whe shes in her pen and seems to be talking to me constantly although it is probably because i will talk to her people must think i am nuts but the conversation will carry on and on for quite awhile the baby has learned to do the same so now i have my conversatations with him as well.i dont think they are any trouble as far as i am concerned and as far as water goes kiddie pools work good for them.my girl(billie)likes to tug at my jacket when i go out to feed her or any watch or bracelet i am wearing.she has never once bitten me or my husband.she is a good watch dog and never wanders off although i keep an eye just in case.she can hold her own with the dogs pretty well.there are people she doesnt like though like any animal and she will go after them.i have always beleived though that animals can sense who is good and who is not who will do them harm and who wont so she is entitled to her opinion on people.my only suggestion is to read up on different breeds you want to start out with a couple that arent known for agression or it can be an unpleasant experience for all i have witnesses geese really cause some damage to skin and scare the begeebies out of people i hear the sebastools are woderful as far as tempermant go they are what i am going with next

I have been thinking geese lately too. We have had some very big predators - panther, coyote, bobcat, etc. We have chickens and have had to become very careful in locking everyone up at night (or bringing them into the bathroom to sleep). We tried a big dog, but that was unsuccessful. The chicken coop is very close to our bedroom so we can hear, and respond quickly if there is a problem. I was thinking about getting a pair of geese to occupy part of the chicken house at night and free range in the yard during the day. Perhaps they would get our attention if there was a preditor by making a louder sound than the silkies do. Does anyone think this might work?
I love the Sebastopols, the way they look and it seems that they are a little calmer than others. Would they get along with the silkies?
It seems that the biggest problem is where to get Sebastopols. any suggestions?

Last edited:
Oh, we still really want geese!!! Sebastopols look so neat, but they are so expensive too, it seems. Maybe someday ...

Was wondering, why not to hand-feed the day-olds? Will it make them bite later or something, or chase you for food?

Thanks!

I have a pair of Sebs that have just started nesting. I like geese. Mine are pretty much calm geese except for right now, the male puts on a good show when I approach their pen because of the mating.

Geese are really nice to watch as they wander the yard eating grass. It never fails that when I am home and let mine out that they find a place under brush and start building a nest. The female will sit in one spot and gather twigs and leaves around her and make a nice bowl shaped nest. The only problem with these nest is they are always made outside of the pen and I keep my geese and other poultry in pens whenever I am not going to be home and at night.

I have a pond for the geese but they rarely use it, they mostly just dunk their heads in to clean their eyes and nostrils.

Someone mentioned earlier that geese aren't as messy as ducks and I would have to agree. The ducks can out poop any goose I have ever seen. Good droppings tend to be more firm than ducks droppings. I do still have ducks but prefer the geese (just don't tell the ducks that lol).

Back
Top Bottom