Goose leg injury

Feathered_Texans

Songster
Sep 24, 2018
Central Texas
My goose is about 1 week old and I got her from the local farm store. She got tangled in a rubber band while I wasn’t looking and it had cut the circulation off. Her foot had turned kind of purple and it had an indention where the band was. I quickly got her out and her foot turned to the normal color and the indention went away. About 2 days later I noticed she isn’t using the leg correctly. She has it out to the side most of the time. I can get pictures in a little bit to show you better. I tried taping it together like they do with splayed legs. It kind of worked but then she wants to hop on one leg. Is there any other sort of brace I could do? Also would swimming count as water therapy. She usually uses the leg correctly when she swims but I don’t know if that would be overworking it and causing further damage. Or should I just leave it and alone and see if it heals on it’s own? If you have any ideas at all please share them! Thank you!

Swimming is good for the leg. Is the foot still normally colored, or has it become darkened? Hopefully cutting off the blood supply to the foot has not 'killed' it.

If that's the case, I would expect that the goose will make a full recovery. Right now it hurts.
I put her and her buddy in the water for a little while and I’m seeing improvement! It was using the leg a lot better during and after the “water therapy”. I think I was just getting too paranoid and worried, thank you! I’ll update if anything changes for the better or worse

Back
Top Bottom