Goose looks lethargic (sp)`

Capron09

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
We have two geese/goose. Dont know if they are M/F. We left the house at 4pm and all was well. We came home at 8:00 and one of them was laying down and when I went out there it stayed down. It barely even peeped. Its legs were crunched up behind them. I rolled it over but didnt see anything. Doesnt seem like an animal got it. They are in a wired fence area so I am thinking a snake or spider? it is drinking but looks very sleepy and barely moves its legs. I put it in the pool/pond but it just sits and barely moves. I saw it do what looked like a tail wag. They are only 16-20 week sold. Any suggestions what it coudl be and how to treat it?

The major thing with geese is poisons, rather than infections or illness. Get some activated charcoal (aquarium variety works too), make a liquid out of it, and syringe it into the goose's bill. It certainly will not hurt the goose, in case he/she is fine or sick for another reason.

Is it eating and drinking and pooping?

We lost our goose last night shortly after posting. His head kept going limp and lopping over to the side, the rest of his body was completly paralyzed. I wrapped him in a towel and held him. He kept opening his beak and sticking out his tounge while twisting his neck. The only thing that woudl move normal was his eyes. Then they went dull and I thought he was gone. I took him out to show the other goose and the other goose quacked at him frantically and he seemed to respond with a head twist type thing. Brought him back in and held him a bit longer and he died. The other goose is very sad. he seemed healthy last night the only thing I have noticed is chalky white poop. So to answer the main question, yes he was drinking but not eating. The other seems to be doing both.

Thank you for your response.

Back
Top Bottom