Sudden lameness, obvious distress

What is that about crypto in your flock? Is that cryptosporidium, and has that been found in the upper respiratory tract or intestines? Have you had a death from that? Gabapentin is very much going to make her sleep. Are you still giving any calcium? I know you said her calcium level was normal, but it might help her egg shells or to pass any egg. You can get enrofloxacin online at Jedds.com. Some vets will prescribe it for hens with salpingitis or reproductive infection, but some will not. It treats a lot of different bacteria, and especially with reproductive infections.

What is that about crypto in your flock? Is that cryptosporidium, and has that been found in the upper respiratory tract or intestines? Have you had a death from that? Gabapentin is very much going to make her sleep. Are you still giving any calcium? I know you said her calcium level was normal, but it might help her egg shells or to pass any egg. You can get enrofloxacin online at Jedds.com. Some vets will prescribe it for hens with salpingitis or reproductive infection, but some will not. It treats a lot of different bacteria, and especially with reproductive infections.
Cryptosporidiosis, it has been causing slow crop and/or diarrhea in our flock since probably 6 months into having chickens :( The first time we had an outbreak we had like 5 inside getting treated at once, but we got them all healthy again and most did not have a relapse (they will just carry it forever). We hadn't lost one until recently, we had a severely immunocompromised hen that lived indoors, every time she had a stressful event (molting, for example) she would have a flare up and would need to be treated with sulfatrim for at least a month, metoclopramide to get her crop moving again, lots of tube feedings, etc. Vet said it can cause all sorts of other issues, including reproductive tract issues and neurological issues. He's never prescribed enrofloxacin, I can ask him about it - he said he is treating this like a salpingitis case. She is getting nutridrench which says it has calcium in it, I did try to sprinkle some calcium on her food but she wasn't interested. I had read this page: https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...n-poultry/calcium-metabolism-problems-in-hens
and it said to top dress the food.
She's started breathing heavy/is in distress again, so hard to not be able to help her.

Would you know how to direct administer this? (not in water) and would you get liquid or powder? https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10?_pos=1&_sid=c33a3c960&_ss=r

NutriDrench does not contain enough calcium for egg laying problems. Calcium citrate 300 with d3 is best, and most hens can swallow it if you put it right into the beak. If you use the enrofloxacin 10%, the minimum dosage is 0.05 ml per pound given twice a day for 5 days.

NutriDrench does not contain enough calcium for egg laying problems. Calcium citrate 300 with d3 is best, and most hens can swallow it if you put it right into the beak. If you use the enrofloxacin 10%, the minimum dosage is 0.05 ml per pound given twice a day for 5 days.
I couldn't find that as a powder, what do you mean most can swallow if you put it into their beak? My vet said I could buy oyster shell powder at a livestock store, but I couldn't find it there, so I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZQCWCYS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I haven't used it yet, I didn't know how to dose it aside from top dressing food and he had told me to keep using the nutridrench. The first night you had suggested the calcium, I crushed up a tums and mixed it into the liquid I was tube feeding her, but I am uneasy not knowing how much I'm giving her, and then he told me she didn't need it.
Tried to order the Baytril from Jedd's but the soonest it could get here is Friday, not sure if you know of another pigeon supply that might have it? Stromberg's didn't have it.

The calcium citrate with d 3 is a tablet. You put the tablet into the beak to swallow. They can swallow mice whole, so tablets are not a problem usually. Most people on here advise to use calcium citrate with d3 if laying soft or thin shelled eggs. We are not vets, but many here are experienced with chickens and reproductive disorders.

Whatever the issue is, it's happening while the egg is coming down the pike. When she's actually ready to lay, she isn't having issues. He did an internal palpation and said the area where the egg shell was stuck last time has scarred over, and there may be a nodule or polyp there, but that shouldn't be causing her pain and it doesn't fit with when she's in distress. I was worried there may be some infection issue higher up. Unfortunately, even if she has an infection, the vets here are pretty limited in what they can prescribe :( Dang USDA.. Hoping that by keeping her inside for a bit and decreasing the time there is light in the room will help her stop laying.. The girls outside have decided its spring in Florida- one of my girls has been laying for the last month+, and two of them laid their first eggs this week, aside from Pepper.
I'm also immensely grateful we found this vet fairly early on. Most vets here that see avians will no longer see chickens because of avian flu fears.
Actually vets can prescribe any antibiotic they feel is necessay..considering the last 2 years we have had to use last line antibiotics battling multiple resistance rodacchoci in foals..using heavy hitter drugs like rifampin , we have used ciprofloxacin, gentamicin, metranidazole and ceftiofour on one horse at the same time with multi prong infection with resistance..

Some vets chose not to prescribe off label, some states have laws that go further than the fed laws..

Now some vets also prefer to only prescribe drugs that they carry, but I've picked up cat,dog,hedge hog, and horse from my local pharmacy, a specialty in hospital drug st the biggest hospital in the areas pharmacy...

The calcium citrate with d 3 is a tablet. You put the tablet into the beak to swallow. They can swallow mice whole, so tablets are not a problem usually. Most people on here advise to use calcium citrate with d3 if laying soft or thin shelled eggs. We are not vets, but many here are experienced with chickens and reproductive disorders.
Huh, ok, thank you.

Actually vets can prescribe any antibiotic they feel is necessay..considering the last 2 years we have had to use last line antibiotics battling multiple resistance rodacchoci in foals..using heavy hitter drugs like rifampin , we have used ciprofloxacin, gentamicin, metranidazole and ceftiofour on one horse at the same time with multi prong infection with resistance..

Some vets chose not to prescribe off label, some states have laws that go further than the fed laws..

Now some vets also prefer to only prescribe drugs that they carry, but I've picked up cat,dog,hedge hog, and horse from my local pharmacy, a specialty in hospital drug st the biggest hospital in the areas pharmacy...
I don't know, he's just expressed his hands being tied by the USDA because of chickens being livestock. I don't know the laws but I assume he doesn't want to lose his license.

Enrofloxacin is banned in poultry by the FDA, although some vets will prescribe it for reproductive disorders. If that bothers you, you may not want to use it. It is not banned for dogs or cats however, just chickens. The similar antibiotic cipro is used in people.

Back
Top Bottom