Goose Low Energy and Not Eating, Help!

The Dim Side

Songster
Mar 16, 2021
Hi, I just noticed this morning that my one goose isn't as energetic as normal, and she isn't eating anything either. She seemed fine yesterday, so I just noticed it this morning. Is there anything I can do for her?

How is she doing today?
Has she recovered any?

Sort of. Her energy has been better with her more responsive and playful but still not at 100%. She drinks water but doesn't want to eat any grass or all flock feed. She will eat chopped carrots and apples and cabbage though. I was worried she might be blocked up because she wasn't pooping, but I didn't know if it was due to just not having food in her stomach, but I hadn't noticed liquid coming out from drinking water. But she has been pooping small amounts of light brown/gray cylinders that are pretty solid (I assume the carrots are making it orangish/brown).

She's a little over 5 months old, and she could also be a male, but the breeder thought female, so we've just been going with that. (However, our other goose who another breeder thought was male turned out to be female, confirmed just this morning with laying her first egg! Pretty surprised since she's only 5 months old, too.)

We took them to the vet, too (which was 2.5 hours away, blargh), and they couldn't find anything wrong with her. They even did blood work, fecal tests, and such, and it all came back clear. The only thing we didn't do was an X-ray (the most costly, so it was a struggle with the BF), which I regret because I figured it'd be the thing that would actually be helpful, lol. So we'll probably actually take her back down tomorrow though if she doesn't start eating grass before that.

But if anyone has any thoughts on how to help her, I'm all ears!

Edit to add: There are some holes that they've been previously digging around, and some filled with water or at least muddy. She's been really sticking her head in those quite a bit today. I'm not sure if she's actually trying to eat anything or what, but her whole front side gets really muddy, lol.

Last edited:
Update: She was still doing well as of this morning, reactive, relatively energetic, and eating some. But we left for a couple hours, and when we came back, she was lethargic and just sorta dazed. She keeps just wanting to sleep. And she's limping on her left foot. I can't find any noticeable injuries, so I don't know what happened to her, but she's just trying to sleep standing up with the left foot partially in the air.

She's still pooping in small amounts, but she's not currently eating anything either. I'm just not sure what to do for her, and I don't know if it constitutes as needing to be taken to the vet ER (since any regular vets are closed from now till at least Monday). And since the normal vet couldn't figure out what was wrong with her before, I don't know what they'd do for her. Unless they can take an X-ray and see if something is inside her causing problems (that was the only thing at the vet we didn't do).

She's a /little/ more reactive with quietly talking to me when I'm up close, but she still just wants to sleep more (which is just half-sleeping since she opens her eyes every 30 seconds getting distracted by a noise (like our other goose).

Back
Top Bottom