Goose not eating or drinking

linzie999

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 8, 2013
Hi I have just joined and I'm in the uk, I have a 3 year old goose she started 2 weeks ago standing still and not eating after I noticed which was the next day took her to the vet who passed me on to a bird vet as his didn't feel able to help. The new vet took bloods and checked worm count and gave me a critical food stuff with I have been tubing her with but she is getting weaker not eating or drinking on her own. Also she has had smelly watery poo but all test have come back clear she doesn't have any eggs or nest since 2months ago I can't see why this has happened has anyone had the same problem ? She is now in her house and not strong enough to walk after I tubed her this morning she was sick so not keeping anything down ...

Hi I have just joined and I'm in the uk, I have a 3 year old goose she started 2 weeks ago standing still and not eating after I noticed which was the next day took her to the vet who passed me on to a bird vet as his didn't feel able to help. The new vet took bloods and checked worm count and gave me a critical food stuff with I have been tubing her with but she is getting weaker not eating or drinking on her own. Also she has had smelly watery poo but all test have come back clear she doesn't have any eggs or nest since 2months ago I can't see why this has happened has anyone had the same problem ? She is now in her house and not strong enough to walk after I tubed her this morning she was sick so not keeping anything down ...
Did the vet check to see if she is egg bound? I know you said no nest or eggs for 2 months but could she be? What about eating something toxic? I'm so sorry wish I could give you some answers but seems all I have is questions at this point.

She was not egg bound we thought about something she had eaten but all tests shows clear but she has just died bringing up water that she had been drinking, it's heart breaking when you no answers we feel useless xx sleep now dotty xxx

She was not egg bound we thought about something she had eaten but all tests shows clear but she has just died bringing up water that she had been drinking, it's heart breaking when you no answers we feel useless xx sleep now dotty xxx
I am so sorry, you did all you could have done, taking her to the vet and trying your best to get her through this. Sometimes we just never know..
sad.png
hugs.gif

I am so sorry you lost your goose. May she rest in piece..... As Miss Lydia said you did all you could.

For some reason that is how many of us lose our females is after laying season. I believe it is a calcium issue because they use up so much calcium from their bones to create eggs. I believe we need to feed extra calcium to our females right while laying and even after laying to keep up the calcium. Because the calcium in them is so depleted. Hope this might help in the future with laying geese.
hugs.gif

Thank you both for your help dotty was given calcium at the vets and was fed a layers pellet but we will be introducing extra calcium to our hens, ducks and silver pheasants, although we have lots of pets our goose was a real part of the family, she wandered in and out like she owned the place and would have a moan if you didn't give her a cuddle !!

Last edited:
Thank you both for your help dotty was given calcium at the vets and was fed a layers pellet but we will be introducing extra calcium to our hens, ducks and silver pheasants, although we have lots of pets our goose was a real part of the family, she wandered in and out like she owned the place and would have a moan if you didn't give her a cuddle !!
hugs.gif

I am so sorry you lost your goose. May she rest in piece..... As Miss Lydia said you did all you could.

For some reason that is how many of us lose our females is after laying season. I believe it is a calcium issue because they use up so much calcium from their bones to create eggs. I believe we need to feed extra calcium to our females right while laying and even after laying to keep up the calcium. Because the calcium in them is so depleted. Hope this might help in the future with laying geese.
hugs.gif
I agree. I lost a brown Chinese goose this season just that way. She was really weak. Poor baby. I am sorry to hear about your girl.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom