Goose not sitting on eggs consistently

Fowl Mouth Farm

Hatching
Sep 9, 2017
I have a 2 year old Pilgrim/Toulouse Goose who has laid 8 eggs and was sitting on them almost 24/7 for over a week. For the past 2 days I have noticed her off the nest for a few hours at a time. She covers the eggs but isn't sitting anymore. The woman I bought her off of in the spring said she hatched her own eggs the year before without an issue. I am new to geese so I'm not sure what the problem is. Could she be still collecting a clutch? Her gander is penned with her and is very protective. Could he be bothering her? I'm worried that she's stressed and the eggs may go to waste.

Usually they want their mate with them so probably hasn't anything to do with the gander. Something else stressing them? predator coming around at night during the day.

Can you let them out long enough to candle the eggs to see if they are growing? If there is life you should see it.
What are your outside temps real hot or warm where you are?

This is normal. They don't set on their eggs all day. They cover them up and go foraging for a while. Then they'll come back to them.

My goose Abigail left her nest like that when she was sitting last spring. She’d go for a swim and eat some grass for an hour or so, then get back on the nest. The eggs hatched just fine.

Our other goose Amelia sits much more tightly. I haven’t seen her off the nest for more than 20 minutes at a time.

Back
Top Bottom