Goose or Gander?

BirbMama92

Songster
Mar 14, 2022
Iowa
Hello everyone. I took a long hiatus after an almost total flock loss last year.

Anyway, I was at TSC last year and was practically given this bird ($1 lol). I'm not even sure if I have the breed correct, a Toulouse maybe? At first I thought it was a boy, but now I don't know šŸ˜¬

How do I figure it out so I stop giving it a identity crisis.

Btw, it's name is "Goose" haha. Lovely bird. Protects the flock and will *sometimes* allow it's human to pick it up.

Attachments

• IMG_20220712_174059758.jpg
    IMG_20220712_174059758.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20220712_174048917.jpg
    IMG_20220712_174048917.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 9
If the goose will let you pick it up maybe just sneak a peak at the vent and spread it apart till the penis flops out

I have better luck sexing geese by actions rather than physical look, but that looks like a goose to me.
I have heard where the male has a different noise than the female? This one is more of a *kaw kaw kaw* but in more of a honk tone. Haven't found any eggs so that's why I'm curious

That is a toulousse. The non-dewlap variety. They are supposed to be a bit gentler than other geese. So many people like them for this trait. You can tell the breed by how its got MORE grey than other breeds.

That is a toulousse. The non-dewlap variety. They are supposed to be a bit gentler than other geese. So many people like them for this trait. You can tell the breed by how its got MORE grey than other breeds.
I thought it was a Toulouse, but all the ones I could find all had dewlaps. Very protective of all the other birds, but very calm with myself, hubs and kiddos.

Back
Top Bottom