goose pen

Discussion in 'Geese' started by lisamarie, Jun 3, 2010.

1. lisamarie

lisamarie Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    northern california
    hi all,
    trying to come up for a design for a duck and goose pen. i will probably get 3 toulouse geese. can someone give me an idea of how much space i would need per bird in the pen and what size door i would need for them? also, i will be using this for them at night and they will free range during the day. will geese even get into a pen at night?

thanks!
    lisa

2. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    im wondering the same thing about how big the door should be for my toulouse

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    My chinese geese and a few muscovies live in a secure pen with my mini horses.
    During the day I sometimes let the ducks and geese out into yard to free range and enjoy the small pond in the backyard. Around dusk I would take a pan of feed and intice them back to the pen and herd them in for the night.
    Nothing more difficult than trying to herd a bunch of fast moving critters if they do not want to do something!
    After a few days they would hang around the gate and want to be put back in the pen.
    Food is a great motivator! Works on me too :)

4. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    My geese have a small pen in our garage and semi-free range during the day (they have a fenced-in acre). We wait until it is DARK (like, almost black outside, about 9 in the summer) to put them away, and sometimes have to use a broom to chase them in. The only thing they do in their pen is sleep and lay eggs. Our door is about 3.5 feet tall and the pen is about 4 feet tall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by