Goose questions

MyFarmette

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 11, 2013
I am thinking of getting a goose or two to protect my ducks from predators. They will be in a 20'x40' pen with a top, but I have a range of predators from raccoons and bobcats to stray digs and cats. My question is what breed is best "guard goose"? And if I get more than one will they still guard the ducks? If a goose isn't a good idea what is better? Any help is much appreciated!

It was more for noise and surprise factor than actual fight. We have Canada geese like crazy around here and those guys are mean! Most of the dogs and cats know what a goose is and keep away. That was the idea. I guess I should have said watch goose instead of guard goose.

So if I get a goose should I have two or would one be sufficient? And does the goose have to be raised with ducks or would an older one be OK? Lastly, does gender matter?

Geese are social animals they are only truely happy with another of their own kind. They can be raised with ducks just fine. I have some being raised with ducks now. My others were raised with chickens, for safety reasons because goslings can smash chicks because the get big fast i had them seperated they could see eachother but not run together. After they all grew up they run together now. Gender only matters depending on what you want. If you want to raise more goslings get a pair, if you only want eggs get two females if not get two males. Its up to you.

Back
Top Bottom