Goose Ripped Beak: Need Help Please

bluemerle

Songster
Aug 11, 2018
Northern Nevada
The short version: I went out this morning to let the geese out, and my gander had dragged his beak along the hw cloth and sandpapered his beak to where his top beak is now even with the bottom (even a bit of an underbite). Essentially: some of his beak is 'sandpapered' down.

I stopped the bleeding w/ a lot of cornstarch and pressure. I put a small bandage over it. I've applied neosporin multiple times. It's not actively bleeding, but still starts a small flow when he bumps it.

What do I do? He's drinking water. I have not tried to feed him. His beak is VERY warm, I assume a fever. Do i try to get him to eat tonight? what can i do about the fever?

thanks for any help!

Okay thank you. That’s so sad wonder why he’d do something like that? I think it will heal but it will take a while . I doubt he is going to want to eat but maybe if you make his feed soupy tomorrow he may try and eat some that way. Do you happen to have any meloxocam? Will he drink? We need advise from @casportpony

he is drinking good. behavior is good, even - when we let him up (we hold him to keep him calm + asleep) he grooms. just trying to keep him still so he can heal.

thank you for advice miss lydia!! the beak is doing fine right now. it will heal. i'm just worried about keeping him in good health for the night. should i not worry about him not eating tonight?

i do have some human meloxicam. more details on that later if needed.

got him through the night. beak looking better. but he won't eat. he will try something once - peas, grass i've plucked, cooked oatmeal, flock raiser mush - but then he won't take a second bite. suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom