Goose shelter and feed questions.

chrism

Songster
11 Years
Jan 17, 2009
Zone 7A Central Va.
I have my first flock of laying hens but have had a problem with hawks and owls.
On advice of my local chick supplier, I added a breeding pair of American Buff Geese as guards.
It was an unexpected addition so I feel that I may not have prepared well for their feeding and shelter.
Both hens and geese are free ranged.
So far the geese get all of the forage that they want (1 acre) plus GMO free scratch.
Is this combo supplying the nutrition that they need?
For shelter they have a tarp lean-to for shade and weather protection. Bare ground.

Where am I falling short for their basic needs?
These are not pets but rather work animals.
I don't want them enclosed because that would defeat the purpose of yard patrol.
My concern began today when I noticed that they sat in the middle of the yard in the cold pouring rain all day rather than the shelter.

I have my first flock of laying hens but have had a problem with hawks and owls.
On advice of my local chick supplier, I added a breeding pair of American Buff Geese as guards.
It was an unexpected addition so I feel that I may not have prepared well for their feeding and shelter.
Both hens and geese are free ranged.
So far the geese get all of the forage that they want (1 acre) plus GMO free scratch.
Is this combo supplying the nutrition that they need?
For shelter they have a tarp lean-to for shade and weather protection. Bare ground.

Where am I falling short for their basic needs?
These are not pets but rather work animals.
I don't want them enclosed because that would defeat the purpose of yard patrol.
My concern began today when I noticed that they sat in the middle of the yard in the cold pouring rain all day rather than the shelter.

They don't need water to swim but they would really enjoy having a small kiddi pool. Also they MUST MUST MUST have a water bowl deep enough to get their ENTIRE head into so they can clear their nares. Other than that if they have enough to eat they sound fine, since they aren't pets to you. To keep them safe you should lock them up at night, but you want them to patrol the yard.

They do like to sit in the rain, mine would rather sit out in it and forage rather than go inside.

Geese are not guard dogs, watch dogs, yes, but they are birds. Prey animals. While they may scare away birds of prey and small predators, they stand no chance against a fix or coyote or dog, and they will not "attack" an owl or hawk if it picks up a chicken. But they will scream scream scream and tell you all about it.

Thank you.
I realize that they will not attack an intruder but rather sound an alarm.
That's all I need to give me some warning so that I can get outside with whatever tool I need to dispatch the intruder.

Thank you.
I realize that they will not attack an intruder but rather sound an alarm.
That's all I need to give me some warning so that I can get outside with whatever tool I need to dispatch the intruder.

Alright! Good luck then :) welcome to the world of geese!

Back
Top Bottom