Goose standing around, not grazing or moving--update she's ALIVE

desertdarlene

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 4, 2010
San Diego
Jill, a mixed breed Greylag type goose lives at Lake Murray with the other domestic geese and has been there about four years, maybe a little less. She used to have a mate, Jack, but he disappeared almost two years ago. Since then, she hangs around a white Chinese gander and a Canada goose/gander.

Usually, Jill stays near the other geese, but also stands off on her own. Usually, when she's off on her own, she is grazing or sleeping. But, the last two days, I've noticed her just standing in one spot, doing nothing. She will move if you act like a big goose and make her move, but, otherwise, she won't move and just stands there. The Chinese gander often checks on her and "chats" with her, but he will get bored and move away, leaving her standing there, sometimes out in the open. I know she moves sometimes as she was not in the same spot this morning as she was yesterday morning. She almost got hit by a truck because she didn't move when it rolled up to her.

Jill is generally vocal, but I've only heard her vocalize once to the gander. She doesn't appear to be injured. When I approach her, she is not aggressive, nor does she act scared.

Does anyone know why she is doing this? Is there something I can do for her at the lake? I have a feeling that she won't eat anything if I offer her anything.

I've already pointed out her strange behavior to other people who "look after" the geese, but finding someone to take her is difficult. I have had a hard time just finding homes for sick dumped ducks, geese are a bit harder.

I've already pointed out her strange behavior to other people who "look after" the geese, but finding someone to take her is difficult. I have had a hard time just finding homes for sick dumped ducks, geese are a bit harder.

I hope you can find someone who can take her and look after her.

It doesn't look good. I'm thinking it's an egg issue because all the other geese are fine and it came on very suddenly. It seems to be a morning thing, but I can't tell for sure.

She's dead now. I just went to check on her. She was only like this for about 24-36 hours and was fine a couple days before.

Last edited:
She's dead now. I just went to check on her. She was only like this for about 24-36 hours and was fine a couple days before.

I'm sorry to hear this, so sad when you just don't know what to do especially when they aren't ours. Very sad. So sweet dd that you care.
hugs.gif
They dispose of the body right?

Yes, I believe so. I think she died yesterday not long after I last saw her. The gander is very depressed and is hanging around the spot where he last comforted her yesterday.

Here is a photo I took of her on Sunday when I first saw her acting sick:

Here she is with her gander, Louie a couple weeks ago. Too bad they never had goslings:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom