Goose was broody, now she’s up! ???

mjsmomma07

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2019
My 1year old Sebastapol was taking turns sitting on the nest with my Toulouse. She finally took over permanently and has been broody for weeks. I was really expecting goslings. Today, she’s up and out for a prolonged period. Granted, it’s sunny and warm for the first time. I tried to candle a little without disturbing. Can’t tell much about except air cells would be appropriate for about day 18 and I’d have guessed closer to 24.

What would you do? Bring one in for better candling tonight? Wait and see what she does tomorrow? Disassemble nest and call it done? I do have an incubator.

She’s bones and feathers after brooding so long. She has as up for only about 3 minutes every day or two before this. I want to prioritize her health.

I'd fire up the incubator just in case, and if she does not go back to setting tonight, I would take the eggs and place them in the incubator. 3 weeks of brooding should not have debilitated her that much. Is there any possibility that she has worms?

in my opinion, I would put them in your incubator I think perhaps she’s too young to brood this year. geese are not full grown/mature till they’re around two years old. Therefore, she’s still growing and brooding this young can be bad for her health, I think you’re seeing the results.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom