Goose with injured leg not walking

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sydney13, Jun 16, 2013.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I have a 3 year old tolouse goose who started limping three days ago. She limps every now and then and then they next day it always goes away so I thought nothing of it. Then the next day it was significantly worse and she was having trouble walking. Now today it is even worse and she can only move a few steps every now and then. Mostly she stays sitting down and doesn't seem too distressed but when she stands up its clear shes in a lot of pain. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow when they open but until then is there any advise? I gave her 50mgs of ibuprofen and put asper creme on her leg. I'm pretty sure the problem is in her upper leg where is connects to her body. I'm mostly concerned on why it keeps getting worse... Any idea on that?
    If anyone had any advise on what I should do and what the problem is I would really appreciate it
    Thanks

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Before you gave her Ibuprofen did you make sure it is safe to give to water fowl? I don't know but so many drugs can be harmful. Did you check bottom of her foot to make sure it isn't bumble foot? which is staff infection from cut or splinter, thorn. If your sure it is upper leg maybe try using some Epsom salt compresses on her leg. Just take warm water with Epsom salts dissolved soak a soft wash cloth and wring out enough it's not dripping and wrap her leg with it leave it on for at least 15 min. you can do this as often as you want, just don't let her drink the water it has a laxative effect. This may relieve some of the pain and inflammation till a vet can look at it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: